Jul 22, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia hasn’t appeared in a game since June 5 due to tearing in his rotator cuff and labrum. But things are suddenly looking up.
Andrew Wagaman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Garcia is headed down to the Cardinals’ spring training complex in Jupiter, Florida on Sunday and is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment within the next 10-14 days. That pegs his return to the major leagues for mid-August.
Garcia, 26, signed a four-year, $27.5 million contract extension with St. Louis last July. The native of Reynosa, Mexico has a 3.45 career ERA in more than 440 major league innings. He had a 4.48 ERA in 66 1/3 frames this year before hitting the shelf.
The Cardinals enter play Sunday trailing the Reds by five games in the National League Central standings.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (87)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (84)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)