Jul 22, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia hasn’t appeared in a game since June 5 due to tearing in his rotator cuff and labrum. But things are suddenly looking up.
Andrew Wagaman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Garcia is headed down to the Cardinals’ spring training complex in Jupiter, Florida on Sunday and is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment within the next 10-14 days. That pegs his return to the major leagues for mid-August.
Garcia, 26, signed a four-year, $27.5 million contract extension with St. Louis last July. The native of Reynosa, Mexico has a 3.45 career ERA in more than 440 major league innings. He had a 4.48 ERA in 66 1/3 frames this year before hitting the shelf.
The Cardinals enter play Sunday trailing the Reds by five games in the National League Central standings.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)