Jul 22, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia hasn’t appeared in a game since June 5 due to tearing in his rotator cuff and labrum. But things are suddenly looking up.
Andrew Wagaman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Garcia is headed down to the Cardinals’ spring training complex in Jupiter, Florida on Sunday and is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment within the next 10-14 days. That pegs his return to the major leagues for mid-August.
Garcia, 26, signed a four-year, $27.5 million contract extension with St. Louis last July. The native of Reynosa, Mexico has a 3.45 career ERA in more than 440 major league innings. He had a 4.48 ERA in 66 1/3 frames this year before hitting the shelf.
The Cardinals enter play Sunday trailing the Reds by five games in the National League Central standings.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)