Jul 22, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
The Nationals suffered a big blow Sunday, with shortstop Ian Desmond heading off to the disabled list with a torn oblique.
An MRI today revealed the extent of the injury, and Desmond is expected to miss at least a few weeks, CSNWashington.com’s Mark Zuckerman reports.
Desmond has been fighting the oblique for at least a month, and while he stayed in the Nationals’ lineup, he opted to skip the All-Star Game to try to rest it. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. The incredible thing is that Desmond increased his production while playing through the injury. Over his last 19 games, he was hitting .388 with six homers.
“He was playing so good with it, hitting rockets,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I just couldn’t read it. And they don’t MRI those things usually, we haven’t all year long. We just know it was kind of a strain.”
With Desmond out, the Nationals will play Danny Espinosa at shortstop and Steve Lombardozzi at second base. Lombardozzi was mostly playing left field this season while Michael Morse was sidelined. His at-bats in the outfield will now go to Corey Brown and Roger Bernadina, at least until Jayson Werth comes off the DL. Brown is coming up from Triple-A to replace Desmond on the roster.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 9
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (83)