Jul 22, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT
One of the top available bats is now off the market.
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin — who had been drawing trade interest from a number of teams — agreed to a three-year, $27 million contract extension on Sunday morning with San Diego. The deal could carry a total value of $30 million if the 29-year-old slugger is able to climb his way to certain statistical plateaus.
Quentin is batting .273/.389/.525 with nine home runs, eight doubles and 22 RBI through 167 plate appearances this season. The fourth-place Friars will attempt to build an offense around him in the coming years. They do have an incredible amount of depth and promise in their minor league system.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)