Jul 23, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Ervin Santana‘s brutal season continued Saturday, as he failed to make it out of the second inning against the Rangers while serving up three homers and allowing six runs.
Santana is now 4-10 with a 6.00 ERA and 23 homers allowed in 111 innings and the Angels are 5-14 when he starts compared to 47-30 when anyone else takes the mound.
And yet instead of simply dumping Santana from the rotation manager Mike Scioscia will continue to start him every fifth day while putting him on an “out count.” Rather than limiting his pitches Scioscia has decided to keep Santana in the game for 15 outs–in other words, five innings–at which point he’ll be removed for a reliever.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com writes that the idea is to keep Santana from having to go through a lineup for a fourth time while giving him more leeway to be aggressive. He also notes that Scioscia employed a similar strategy with a struggling Scott Kazmir and … well, he’s now pitching in an independent league at age 28, so suffice it to say the “out count” didn’t work any magic on Kazmir.
It’s also worth noting that Santana has averaged 17.5 outs per start this season and failed to record even six outs in two of his last three starts. Having to go through the lineup for a third and fourth time hasn’t really been the issue.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)