Bud Selig doubles down (or is it triples down?) on the “no one wants replay” thing

Jul 23, 2012, 2:30 PM EST

Bud Selig Reuters

Bud Selig was on the Waddle and Silvy show and went farther than he ever has on the “no one wants replay” thing. And, once again, pointed to attendance as the reason why no innovation is needed:

When I said there is no appetite for further replay I wasn’t kidding. There’s none. There’s some people that think I maybe have done more than they hoped I would do.”

On the fans clamoring for Instant Replay:

“I’m not sure that is true. We do a lot of polling, I talk to a lot of fans, I get a lot of mail everyday and I answer every piece of mail here. Guess what guys, I get almost no letters, calls or thoughts on Instant Replay. By the way and I say this and I don’t want it to sound, we’re setting attendance records.

(1) name one person inside the game who will actually say, on the record, that baseball has gone too far with replay. I would like to know who this is. No, Joe Torre and other people who serve at the pleasure of Bud Selig don’t count; and

(2) I have no doubt that, among people who actually sit down and write longhand letters and mail them to Bud Selig via the Postal Service, replay is not desired. That’s because these are people who can’t get the “12:00″ on their top-loader VHS machines to stop flashing.

But, publish Bud Selig’s personal email address and let’s see if that remains the same …

1. jasoncollette - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

outoftoucholdman@mlb.com

• CJ - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM

that came back undeliverable…must be:

outoftoucholdcluelessgiantdouche@mlb.com

2. cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Email? Bud don’t gots the email, my friend. He gets urgent messages by carrier pigeon or pony express.

• lanflfan - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM

In Bud Selig’s mind, this whole Internet fad is bound to die off soon anyway. Just like radio, talkies and TV.

3. easports82 - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Email address? Ha! Send a telegram.

4. vallewho - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

He’s waiting for a Congressional hearing, so he can testify that he didn’t know.

5. vansloot - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I keep getting the sense that every time Selig speaks he is just getting closer to the day when he final says:

“Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!”

• ptfu - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I find Bud’s lack of faith disturbing.

6. pemcdonough - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Answer: Rick Reilly.

Wait, you didn’t mean RELEVANT persons did you?

7. nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Craig: You are a journalist. Take your own suggestion. Find out how to contact Bud directly and publish it here. Yes, I’m serious.

• lanflfan - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I voted 25 times per email address for crappy All-Star teams, and I know lots others did the same. Imagine how many severs ALL of us could crash emailing Old Man Bud.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Guys, guys, he isn’t talking about email. We need his mailing address, and then we all need to send him a letter. Let’s do it!

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Sure. Got stamps right here. You got Buddrick’s address?

• vallewho - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Someone in the USPS should “leak” Bud’s home address. Stamp usage will go through the roof, and it may just “rescue” the USPS.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

OK, Craig took too long, so here goes:
      for snail mail:
      The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
      Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
      245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
      New York, NY 10167

for email: address it to PUBLICRELATIONS@MLB.COM
      and type on the subject line: for the commissioner
      A very nice lady assures me it will get to Bud. I urge all to write him and I strenuously urge all to be polite and respectful. That is far more likely to be taken seriously.

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Thank you. Letter’s in the mail.

• jon623 - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Wait, really? That’s his address? I’m drafting a letter as we speak. Awesome. Thanks! Everyone should really get on board with this. Craig, start a campaign to get people to write!

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I dare Bud to say ONE MORE THING that sounds like 50 years ago. The game’s evolved far beyond you, Allan.

9. Loren - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Honestly, isn’t the biggest revelation in this, “I answer every piece of mail here”?
    Want your voice heard? All it costs is a stamp .
    Seriously, how hard could it be to start a snail-mail campaign for replay?

10. akismet-7225161c4af35a154a6631dc5fa06bf4 - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Google says it’s bud.selig@mlb.com – I can confirm it doesn’t work though. That info needs to be public.

11. El Bravo - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever thumbs-upped so many comments on the same thread before. Everyone is right but the douche whom happens to be the subject of this article!

• El Bravo - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM

With this, I give our newest douchenozzle:

1. Randy Miller – South Jersey Courier-Post (abuses BBWAA privileges, HOF vote by submitting blank ballots; also invented superhero Saberboy, which is cool)

2. Luke Scott – perennial all-star douchenozzle. Luke says, “you don’t have to worry about me unless you’re a criminal or communist.”

3. Ryan Braun – for cheating and also for not cheating, either way we will likely never know the truth, and that is annoying.

4. Jon Heyman – CBS (for having a documented history of talking up and selling Scott Boras clients to ball clubs)

5. Nick Swisher – seriously, do I need a reason?

6. C.J. Wilson – Tweeted Napoli’s cell number as “prank” b/c Napoli said he was looking forward to hitting HRs off of him this season.

7. Matt Bush – DUI and for ruining his career

8. Joba Chamberlain – for thinking he is capable of using a trampoline with his fat toady ass [NOTE: Joba’s addition was rescinded given how unlucky the poor bastard was and he was just trying to be a good dad.]

8. Bobby Jenks – DUI (influence mainly muscle relaxers…), amazing quote “When Deputy Sutphin asked Jenks if he had taken anything else other than the muscle relaxers, he told the officer that he “was going to be honest with you, I was just leaving Babes because I hit a car. I just had to get out of there.”

9. Delmon Young – Assault; anti-Semitism; generally just a D-to-the-nozz all around.

10. Pedro Gomez – BBWAA voter with no sense.

11. Cole Hamels – for beaning Harper for being 19 and talented.

12. Rob Dibble – Because he shoulda never left this list as the inaugural douchenozzle.

13. Bud Selig – repeatedly suggests, nay insists, that no one wants more instant replay in baseball.

12. drewsylvania - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM

What a big, fat liar.

13. jarathen - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Bud knows what fans want. Less replay, more Snooki.

• meteor32 - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

At least the umps and fans in attendance won’t have to be exposed to an instant replay of Snooki.

14. Dave Barker - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I added myself to this growing chorus long ago. Fans want expanded instant replay, Bud. Let’s start with bang bang plays at first with no one on base. I know Armando Galarraga would be in favor. You wanna talk about the human element? How ’bout rewarding hard-working athletes what they rightfully achieved?

• jon623 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Spot on. Couldn’t agree more.

15. easports82 - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Self-promotion warning!

Created the online petition to show MLB that there actually are people who want replay:

Granted, I probably have to print it and send it by pony express for Bud to get it, but gotta start somewhere.

16. ajcardsfan - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I have a very highly developed sense of denial. -Gwyneth Paltrow Bud Selig

17. rcali - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I agree. We should also get rid of the TV’s in ballparks so we can miss half an inning buying our overpriced refreshments. All lights should be removed from ballparks and games should only be played during the day. All Tickets must then be purchased at a teller window at the ballpark. Technology has made the experience at a baseball game unbearable.

18. kalinedrive - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM

He didn’t triple-down. It was a double-down plus an error.

19. johnnyb1976 - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

One replay per team per game wouldn’t hurt the flow of the game at all but it can’t be a replay for a called strike or ball it would have to be in the field, on a close play at first or a play at the plate. If they are smart with replay it would save umpires a lot of bonehead mistakes.

20. randygnyc - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Bud’s office entrance is literally 15 feet away from my own office at 56th and broadway. His office is at 56th and 7th.

I’d be happy to drop off a petition if it was substantial enough.

• jon623 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I think you should leave bud little anonymous presents on his door every day. And by little presents, I mostly mean flaming bags of dog crap.

• skids003 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

a la “Hollywood Knights.”

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Ok. This has to be the best chance to leave 6 bags of letters outside Bud’s door.

Randy, here’s where you make up for being a Yankee fan: give Craig your address.

Craig: give us a PO Box address

HBT commenters: write Bud a letter and mail it to Craig’s PO Box.

Craig, forward those letters to Bud via Randy when they reach critical mass of 6 full mail bags. Should take a week.

Randy: do your cardio. You got some lifting to do.

• jon623 - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I’m for it. Can we make this happen? …And yes I’m serious.

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Nah. Best thing to do is grab that address and write directly to him yourself. One enterprising person on this page has got it. Ive composed my letter to El Buddric and will get it in the post on my evening dog walk. I’ll show him appetite. Anyhow, Randy’d rupture himself lugging all that mail.

• jon623 - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

^ Saw the address above and I’m writing a letter right now. Thanks!

21. brycebstone - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Here’s a legitimate suggestion:
    1. Make an email account, maybe InstantReplayOpinions@gmail.com.
    2. Post the email here and all over the known universe.
    3. Allow people to email the account.
    4. Send the log in information to Selig via snail mail, singing telegram, and any other means.
    5. Then ask him about fans’ appetite for instant replay.

22. allbucdup - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

This goes back to the Umps guaranteed. You can’t get a replay on the jumbotron, AT THE GAME, what makes you think they would want to further know they suck at life?

23. Mike Luna - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Every time Bud Selig talks to the media, he’s asked about instant replay. Shouldn’t that be an indication that somebody, somewhere actually wants to see this happen?

Surely Uncle Bud can’t be that clueless…or have a underestimated him yet again?

24. mvp43 - Jul 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I want more reply,……..for the record.

25. randygnyc - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I apologize. I didn’t realize Bud had his own offices. MLB has it’s main offices next door to me. I didn’t realize bud had separate offices elsewhere. Anyway, the 245 Park avenue (south?) address can’t be more than 20 blocks away.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester