Jul 23, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
I get the idea that the Dempster deal was reported somewhat prematurely — though, notably, no one reported that the deal was finalized — but this seems a bit much:
Sveum also denies a deal. “Fabrication.” Says it’s unfair to Dempster to have to deal with this.
— Paul Sullivan (@PWSullivan) July 23, 2012
Sveum: “The Twitter, the Facebook, the things that get produced and published that aren’t true is just off the charts.”
— Patrick Mooney (@CSNMooney) July 23, 2012
Many different reporters — good reporters — with many different sources were hearing that a deal was basically in place. Even the Braves own home page at MLB.com was reporting the deal. There is clearly not any Dempster sign-off yet so no, there is no deal with a capital D, but it does not appear to be a “fabrication.” To say so seems pretty bush league and insults a lot of people who are not sitting here and making this up from whole cloth.
For whatever reason, be it logistics on the Cubs end or Dempster taking his time to consider it, there is no trade yet. But that’s something totally different than saying it’s all made up. And if and when the deal is done on the terms generally reported, I think Sveum owes some reporters an apology.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (92)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)