Jul 23, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
I get the idea that the Dempster deal was reported somewhat prematurely — though, notably, no one reported that the deal was finalized — but this seems a bit much:
Sveum also denies a deal. “Fabrication.” Says it’s unfair to Dempster to have to deal with this.
— Paul Sullivan (@PWSullivan) July 23, 2012
Sveum: “The Twitter, the Facebook, the things that get produced and published that aren’t true is just off the charts.”
— Patrick Mooney (@CSNMooney) July 23, 2012
Many different reporters — good reporters — with many different sources were hearing that a deal was basically in place. Even the Braves own home page at MLB.com was reporting the deal. There is clearly not any Dempster sign-off yet so no, there is no deal with a capital D, but it does not appear to be a “fabrication.” To say so seems pretty bush league and insults a lot of people who are not sitting here and making this up from whole cloth.
For whatever reason, be it logistics on the Cubs end or Dempster taking his time to consider it, there is no trade yet. But that’s something totally different than saying it’s all made up. And if and when the deal is done on the terms generally reported, I think Sveum owes some reporters an apology.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 21
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 16
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)