Jul 23, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
I get the idea that the Dempster deal was reported somewhat prematurely — though, notably, no one reported that the deal was finalized – but this seems a bit much:
Sveum also denies a deal. “Fabrication.” Says it’s unfair to Dempster to have to deal with this.
— Paul Sullivan (@PWSullivan) July 23, 2012
Sveum: “The Twitter, the Facebook, the things that get produced and published that aren’t true is just off the charts.”
— Patrick Mooney (@CSNMooney) July 23, 2012
Many different reporters — good reporters — with many different sources were hearing that a deal was basically in place. Even the Braves own home page at MLB.com was reporting the deal. There is clearly not any Dempster sign-off yet so no, there is no deal with a capital D, but it does not appear to be a “fabrication.” To say so seems pretty bush league and insults a lot of people who are not sitting here and making this up from whole cloth.
For whatever reason, be it logistics on the Cubs end or Dempster taking his time to consider it, there is no trade yet. But that’s something totally different than saying it’s all made up. And if and when the deal is done on the terms generally reported, I think Sveum owes some reporters an apology.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17