Jul 23, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
Andrew McCutchen‘s infield single in the fourth was the only hit Samardzija gave up in eight innings of work. The Pirates got another single in the ninth off Carlos Marmol, but they never threatened in the contest.
Bedard was also exceptional, striking out 11 over seven innings. He allowed only one run and two hits, yet he fell to 5-11 for the season.
Samardzija was hoping for a chance at his first career complete game tonight, but manager Dale Sveum said he opted against sending him back out after a 27-minute top of the ninth inning. “I don’t think on his Christmas list right now,” Sveum said afterwards.
Bouncing back from a rough June in which he went 0-4 with a 10.41 ERA, Samardzija is now 2-1 with a 1.67 ERA in four starts this month.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)