Jul 23, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Joel Pineiro was pitching in the minors with the Orioles this season in hopes of working his way back to the major leagues, but he’s now set to undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.
According to the Baltimore Sun, Pineiro is dealing with a SLAP tear, which stands for “superior labral tear from anterior to posterior.” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that doctors also plan to take a look at his rotator cuff. It could be a lengthy rehab process.
Pineiro struggled to the tune of a 5.13 ERA and 62/38 K/BB ratio over 145 2/3 innings last season in the final year of a two-year, $16 million contract. The 33-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Phillies over the winter, but latched on with Baltimore after being cut during spring training.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)