Jul 23, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
Joel Pineiro was pitching in the minors with the Orioles this season in hopes of working his way back to the major leagues, but he’s now set to undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.
According to the Baltimore Sun, Pineiro is dealing with a SLAP tear, which stands for “superior labral tear from anterior to posterior.” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that doctors also plan to take a look at his rotator cuff. It could be a lengthy rehab process.
Pineiro struggled to the tune of a 5.13 ERA and 62/38 K/BB ratio over 145 2/3 innings last season in the final year of a two-year, $16 million contract. The 33-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Phillies over the winter, but latched on with Baltimore after being cut during spring training.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)