Jul 23, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
Joel Pineiro was pitching in the minors with the Orioles this season in hopes of working his way back to the major leagues, but he’s now set to undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.
According to the Baltimore Sun, Pineiro is dealing with a SLAP tear, which stands for “superior labral tear from anterior to posterior.” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that doctors also plan to take a look at his rotator cuff. It could be a lengthy rehab process.
Pineiro struggled to the tune of a 5.13 ERA and 62/38 K/BB ratio over 145 2/3 innings last season in the final year of a two-year, $16 million contract. The 33-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Phillies over the winter, but latched on with Baltimore after being cut during spring training.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27