Jul 23, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Joel Pineiro was pitching in the minors with the Orioles this season in hopes of working his way back to the major leagues, but he’s now set to undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.
According to the Baltimore Sun, Pineiro is dealing with a SLAP tear, which stands for “superior labral tear from anterior to posterior.” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that doctors also plan to take a look at his rotator cuff. It could be a lengthy rehab process.
Pineiro struggled to the tune of a 5.13 ERA and 62/38 K/BB ratio over 145 2/3 innings last season in the final year of a two-year, $16 million contract. The 33-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Phillies over the winter, but latched on with Baltimore after being cut during spring training.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)