Jul 23, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Joel Pineiro was pitching in the minors with the Orioles this season in hopes of working his way back to the major leagues, but he’s now set to undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.
According to the Baltimore Sun, Pineiro is dealing with a SLAP tear, which stands for “superior labral tear from anterior to posterior.” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that doctors also plan to take a look at his rotator cuff. It could be a lengthy rehab process.
Pineiro struggled to the tune of a 5.13 ERA and 62/38 K/BB ratio over 145 2/3 innings last season in the final year of a two-year, $16 million contract. The 33-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Phillies over the winter, but latched on with Baltimore after being cut during spring training.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)