Joel Pineiro to undergo season-ending surgery to repair labrum tear

Jul 23, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT

Joel Pineiro Getty Images

Joel Pineiro was pitching in the minors with the Orioles this season in hopes of working his way back to the major leagues, but he’s now set to undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

According to the Baltimore Sun, Pineiro is dealing with a SLAP tear, which stands for “superior labral tear from anterior to posterior.” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that doctors also plan to take a look at his rotator cuff. It could be a lengthy rehab process.

Pineiro struggled to the tune of a 5.13 ERA and 62/38 K/BB ratio over 145 2/3 innings last season in the final year of a two-year, $16 million contract. The 33-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Phillies over the winter, but latched on with Baltimore after being cut during spring training.

1. kinggeorge96 - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I’ve had surgery to repair a SLAP tear and fom me the rehab was brutal… My doctor told me that he had performed the surgery on a member of the Phillies. Don’t remember if it was a current player….

My shoulder still isn’t right. I actually reinjured it bowling, but that’s a whole other story. I had the surgery back in 1997, so the methods or rehab might’ve changed but it took me approximately 10 months to complete my rehab. Hate to wish anyone ill will but it looks like his career may be about done. Just writing this makes reminds me that my shoulder still hurts.

2. ame123 - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Had the SLAP repair last April. I’d say i’m 95% back now. The rehab is a bitch. My range of motion is still not back to where it was. I also needed a cortisone shot to loosen up some scar tissue.

The very last thing that comes back is throwing.. I can throw a few times as almost as far as before, but it gets sore really quick and hurts for the next 24 hours or so.

• kinggeorge96 - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM

My range of motion is non-existent now… about 65-70 percent of what it was. Because I re-injured it, I can throw a ball about 40 feet with only a little bit of pain…..

I feel your pain brother!

But I try to look on the bright side.. now I know when it’s going to rain…

3. seeinred87 - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I’ve also had a SLAP repair, and I’m going to be the third to let everyone know how horrible the rehab is. I still can’t throw very well or without pain, and my surgery was almost 3 years ago.

4. dallasstars9 - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Can we start using a different picture for this guy? Angel fans would like to forget!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3449)