K-Rod blows save, feels really bad about it

Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Milwaukee’s Francisco Rodriguez took to twitter after giving up four runs in two-thirds of an inning and taking a blown save and a loss Monday against the Phillies.

This one was ugly, but it was K-Rod’s first blown save in three tries since he replaced John Axford in the closer’s role for the Brewers. It will be interesting to see what manager Ron Roenicke does next. Axford has thrown 2 1/3 scoreless innings in four appearances since being demoted and might be ready for another crack at the job. Still, given Rodriguez’s track record, it wouldn’t be fair to let one bad outing cost him his job. Axford had six blown saves and six losses before he was pulled.

1. jon623 - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I say they let him stick with it. Give him a chance to really establish a pattern and a groove out there. When K-rod was with the A’s, he scared the crap out of me. When he would come out to the hill, I got a bit chilly. Nobody wanted to face him. I would love to see him re-establish himself as one of the best closers in the game, and I fully believe that he’s capable of doing so.

• jon623 - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I’m sorry, I’m sorry… Angel’s, not A’s. Typo.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Our bullpen sucks. KRod, or BBRod deserves another chance because the guy before him wasnt doing either.

• brewcrewchamps - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Our bullpen stinks the entire way through. But they keep getting rolled out day after day..its kinda painful

3. randygnyc - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I think the brewers are auditioning players. This won’t help, if that’s the case. Half the league needs a reliable closer.

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I feel bad for the guy, he seems really upset. His stuff didn’t seem awful last night to me, it looked like the Phillies really had some very good AB’s against him. They were patient which is how you need to take this guy on, as he’ll have you swinging at balls in the dirt or out of the zone. The Phillies have faced him many times before, and that was their advantage.

• delawarephilliesfan - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yea – faced him a lot. I had to go back and check the stats, and they were more or less right what I recalled. 1.45 ERA, and 8 for 8 in saves in 17 appearances over the last 3 years….but 14 hits and 7 walks. The Phillies always could get guys on, but never punch through against him.

But you called it Jonny – a lot of familiarity, and it helped last night

5. shoptaw70 - Jul 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM

It may be his first blown save in three tries, but he could easily be three for three. The Cards put winning runs on in both of his first two outings but couldn’t finish him off.

6. yahmule - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM

My National League roto team deserved better, Francisco, far better.

7. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Just in the cards for The Brewers last night…. Its just a microcosm of the 2012 season

8. F14TRex.com - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM

That’s cool that he went and owned it to the fans though.

9. madnova - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Axford has 6 blown saves and 6 losses, this is true. But K-Rod has 5 blown saves and 5 loses, and really hasn’t been all that much better. The confidence Brewer fans had last season taking a lead into the 8th has disappeared completely…no matter how big the lead.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3837)