Not so fast: Ryan Dempster says “THERE IS NO TRADE”

Jul 23, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT

So everyone — Atlanta reporters, Chicago reporters and national reporters — is running with the Ryan Dempster-to-Atlanta trade.  Only one problem: Ryan Dempster seems to not know about it:

And his knowledge of this is rather important given that he has 10/5 rights and must approve any deal.

Now, Dempster was reported a couple of weeks ago to be amenable to any trade to a contender, and there’s no reason at present to think that Dempster isn’t going to sign off here, but the fact is that the Cubs and Braves still need his formal sign off before a deal goes down. And, as of about five minutes ago, Dempster had just arrived at the Cubs clubhouse and was not packing. He was getting ready for the day just like any other.

Question: if people with the Cubs or the Braves are leaking this story to reporters before Dempster is approached for approval, how mad do you think that makes Dempster. Pretty darn mad, I’d guess.

1. darthicarus - Jul 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I preferred his wife’s response, “Don’t ask me…I don’t know.”

• JB (the original) - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I love classic Ozzie (the less slobbering one).

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I wonder if he’ll decline the deal out of anger, or accept it out of anger. This is intriguing.

• cubsrice - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I hope he accepts it and then angrily pitches the Braves to the World Series.

3. wlschneider09 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Wow. A whole lotta braves fans just got C-blocked.

• jamaicanjasta - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Not really. A lot of us think Delgado’s upside > Dempster rental. A LOT greater.

4. tcostant - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

What he said: THERE IS NO TRADE dont know where this info came from!

What he is really saying: Show me the money to call the moving truck…

5. baseballisboring - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

…So is it a baseless rumor or something? How would he not have heard about it?

6. cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Are baseball reporters gossiping old guys in a truck stop cafe, or what? You’d think at least one of them would have twitted Dempster and ASKED him before going to press. If he doesn’t reply then what you have is “unconfirmed rumour” and should be cited as such. All this “word from the mountain” trade dish is just hot air.

7. cubsrice - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

There is no trade, only ZUUL…

• blackandbluedivision - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I gave you a thumbs down for making me laugh so hard.

• cubsrice - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

My bad…

8. Walk - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

This braves fan would absolutely love it if this deal is dead. Delgado for a 2-3 month rental is horrible. Cubs were selling extremely high. If dempster ko’s this deal because he was butt hurt from getting blind sided we owe him one, if braves management came to their senses i would be happy too.

• mrwillie - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Thank you. Braves rotation needs serious help, but I do not like the idea of getting rid of Delgado for a 35 yr old who is pitching above his ceiling right now. Making a playoff run does not hinge solely on this deal. Wren needs to go back to the drawing board, and one that does not have Delgado’s name on it.

• alang3131982 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I dont know, Dempster is probably good for a 4.00 ERA or so, with Delgado at what, 4.50 best case? I’m not a Braves fan or Cubs fan — but I’d like to see my team go for it. Delgado doesnt have a high ceiling it appears so if you miss out on a #3 starter for 2.5 yrs for the chance to make the play-offs that seems fine to me. What are the odds Delgado is worth much over the next 5 years, let alone worth much during a time when the Braves need him?

• CJ - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Braves aren’t going away anytime soon. 5 years of Delgado helps a lot more than 3 months of Dempster, especially since you don’t want to overpay after an outlier season and won’t get compensated if he walks.

Atlanta needs rotation help, underrated innings eaters, with postseason experience and perhaps even a WS ring on the resume. How about Blanton instead? Won’t cost near as much, won’t have to buy high, and he still comes off the books at the end of the year.

• alang3131982 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

How are the braves going nowhere? fifth best run differential in the NL, 3.5 out of NL East, leading the Wild Card.

• CJ - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

who said anything about them going nowhere? I said they’re not going AWAY. Which pretty much means the exact opposite.

• alang3131982 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Solid point – completely misread your comment! That said, how do you know that they’ll be in it next year? or that Delgado will be good/healthy? As Craig noted, the Braves are probably losing in the total value on this trade, but Delgado is far from a sure thing and far from an impactful arm. Dempster will be better ROTW and could be the diference between the wild card and going home….i’d rather my team go for it as long as it didnt cost a blue chip prospect like teheran.

• mrwillie - Jul 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I will agree that Delgado’s future is uncertain, as all pitching prospects are, but I would definitely not say he does not have a high ceiling. He was the Braves #2 prospect heading into this season and has done ok for a 22 yr old breaking into the bigs.

I would rather have his potential and age for several years than Dempster, who could very well be a rental. If Dempster said he’d sign a few years that might make it a little more acceptable in my eyes, but we don’t have those assurances.

I’ll take the gamble over 5 years versus the gamble over 2 months any day.

9. psr179 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I think this is a fake twitter account. No blue check for certified. Random tweets saying “Thx for following @__________”. Plus he only has a few thousand followers. You think a star athlete in a city that size, playing for a team as beloved as the cubs, would have that few followers? Dempster doesn’t even strike me as the kind of guy to have any interest in being on twitter. All of his tweets are grasping at people to ask him questions.

It’s the internet. It may be fake.

• thomas2727 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Cubs beat writers said it is his account.

• CJ - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

“Star athlete”? Dempster?! DEMPSTER?! For that matter, anyone on the Cubs? Really?

10. natslady - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Which part of it is fake, the trade or Dempster putting on a Cubs uni? I mean, if there were a trade, wouldn’t he be on an airplane?

11. xwarr1orx - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Think its more to the fact that the Cubs brass are trying to be secretive, and hadn’t talked to Dempster before someone from the Braves leaked it out. Now its a p*ss*n contest, hopefully this trade happens because its an ideal trade for the Cubs. Just speculating.

• jamaicanjasta - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

And as a Braves fan I hope it does not lol :P.

• xwarr1orx - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Yeah I don’t blame ya, an MLB ready kid at 22 for an aging pitcher who’s pitching out of his mind right now. :)

• jamaicanjasta - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Yeah I think that the Braves FO is trying too hard to ‘force’ a trade if that makes sense.

12. xwarr1orx - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I know he’s not exactly an ideal situation for you guys, but Demp would be a good addition. From all accounts, he’s a helluva teammate. Of course he probably won’t keep up this torrid pace he had been on pre-AS break but he will give you a lot of innings and be a good leader in that clubhouse. I still understand why you wouldn’t be exactly thrilled, on the other hand as a Cubs fan I’d be jumping for joy haha.

13. charlescub80 - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Lol…. Now you see why dempster would veto a trade to the braves. Who would want to go to a place where their fans don’t want a MLB pitcher who could possibly get them to the world series! Well enjoy your potential players who may turn out for u in 2015.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3072)