Jul 23, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest, the Rangers have confirmed that Lewis will undergo surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. This is not the ulnar collateral ligament, which is associated with Tommy John surgery. Either way, he’s done for 2012.
7:47 PM: Passan is now reporting that Lewis will not undergo Tommy John surgery. The Rangers have yet to make an official announcement on how he’ll proceed.
7:08 PM: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Lewis will undergo Tommy John surgery. This will be the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
7:07 PM: According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing arm and is expected to undergo season-ending surgery.
It’s a tough blow for the Rangers, as Lewis has a 3.93 ERA in 80 starts since returning from Japan in 2010. With Roy Oswalt also sidelined, the Rangers could ramp up their efforts to acquire a starting pitcher in the days ahead.
Lewis actually pitched well against the A’s on Wednesday, tossing five innings of one-run ball, but revealed afterward that he exited early because of forearm soreness.
Officially his latest injury is being called forearm tendinitis and the Rangers have recalled Martin Perez from Triple-A to take his spot in the rotation. And with Roy Oswalt’s status uncertain because of his back bad acting up again Perez may stick around for a while this time.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)