Jul 23, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest, the Rangers have confirmed that Lewis will undergo surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. This is not the ulnar collateral ligament, which is associated with Tommy John surgery. Either way, he’s done for 2012.
7:47 PM: Passan is now reporting that Lewis will not undergo Tommy John surgery. The Rangers have yet to make an official announcement on how he’ll proceed.
7:08 PM: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Lewis will undergo Tommy John surgery. This will be the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
7:07 PM: According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing arm and is expected to undergo season-ending surgery.
It’s a tough blow for the Rangers, as Lewis has a 3.93 ERA in 80 starts since returning from Japan in 2010. With Roy Oswalt also sidelined, the Rangers could ramp up their efforts to acquire a starting pitcher in the days ahead.
Lewis actually pitched well against the A’s on Wednesday, tossing five innings of one-run ball, but revealed afterward that he exited early because of forearm soreness.
Officially his latest injury is being called forearm tendinitis and the Rangers have recalled Martin Perez from Triple-A to take his spot in the rotation. And with Roy Oswalt’s status uncertain because of his back bad acting up again Perez may stick around for a while this time.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)