Jul 23, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest, the Rangers have confirmed that Lewis will undergo surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. This is not the ulnar collateral ligament, which is associated with Tommy John surgery. Either way, he’s done for 2012.
7:47 PM: Passan is now reporting that Lewis will not undergo Tommy John surgery. The Rangers have yet to make an official announcement on how he’ll proceed.
7:08 PM: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Lewis will undergo Tommy John surgery. This will be the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
7:07 PM: According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing arm and is expected to undergo season-ending surgery.
It’s a tough blow for the Rangers, as Lewis has a 3.93 ERA in 80 starts since returning from Japan in 2010. With Roy Oswalt also sidelined, the Rangers could ramp up their efforts to acquire a starting pitcher in the days ahead.
Lewis actually pitched well against the A’s on Wednesday, tossing five innings of one-run ball, but revealed afterward that he exited early because of forearm soreness.
Officially his latest injury is being called forearm tendinitis and the Rangers have recalled Martin Perez from Triple-A to take his spot in the rotation. And with Roy Oswalt’s status uncertain because of his back bad acting up again Perez may stick around for a while this time.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)