Jul 23, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest, the Rangers have confirmed that Lewis will undergo surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. This is not the ulnar collateral ligament, which is associated with Tommy John surgery. Either way, he’s done for 2012.
7:47 PM: Passan is now reporting that Lewis will not undergo Tommy John surgery. The Rangers have yet to make an official announcement on how he’ll proceed.
7:08 PM: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Lewis will undergo Tommy John surgery. This will be the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
7:07 PM: According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Lewis was diagnosed with a torn ligament in his throwing arm and is expected to undergo season-ending surgery.
It’s a tough blow for the Rangers, as Lewis has a 3.93 ERA in 80 starts since returning from Japan in 2010. With Roy Oswalt also sidelined, the Rangers could ramp up their efforts to acquire a starting pitcher in the days ahead.
Lewis actually pitched well against the A’s on Wednesday, tossing five innings of one-run ball, but revealed afterward that he exited early because of forearm soreness.
Officially his latest injury is being called forearm tendinitis and the Rangers have recalled Martin Perez from Triple-A to take his spot in the rotation. And with Roy Oswalt’s status uncertain because of his back bad acting up again Perez may stick around for a while this time.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)