Jul 23, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Mike Trout has hit .441 with two homers, three steals, six walks, nine RBIs, and eight runs in nine games against Texas this season, but Rangers manager Ron Washington isn’t quite ready to induct him into Cooperstown yet:
He’s not Willie Mays. He’s a pretty good player, but I think the comparisons have to stop. Let the kid play. When he’s been here five years, six years, then you can start doing that.
I’m sure Angels fans will take offense to that, but Washington makes a relatively reasonable point about hype and hot starts and letting a career breath a little bit.
On the other hand, when you’re a 20-year-old rookie and people feel the need to say things like “he’s not Willie Mays” … well, you’re doing some amazing things. Plus, it’s worth noting that Willie Mays wasn’t even WILLIE MAYS yet as a 20-year-old rookie, when he hit .274 with 20 homers, seven steals, and an .828 OPS in 121 games for the Giants in 1951.
Trout is hitting .357 with 15 homers, 31 steals, and a 1.016 OPS in 74 games. Right now Trout is the best player in the American League and arguably the best player in all of baseball, and in only 16 more days he’ll be able to legally drink alcohol.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)