What the heck happened with Chip Caray’s twitter feed last night?

Jul 23, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT

This is … odd.

Chip Caray’s Twitter feed last night tweeted the following, which appears to be Caray snarking on a news headline regarding the Aurora shooting to make an anti-Obama point (i.e. the “brighter day” will come when Obama is voted-out in Novemeber):

source:

As The Outside Corner blog details, Caray’s followers called him out as insensitive, after which Caray almost immediately said his Twitter account was hacked.  His feed then goes on in detail to explain that he was hacked, he didn’t say that thing about Obama and then asks for help in trying to change his password on his iPad.

But also, as The Outside Corner notes, if Caray was hacked, it’s kind of an odd hack as immediately before and after the tweet in question, Caray tweeted a bunch of things that would be typical for someone like Caray to tweet. Talking baseball, congratulating Ron Santo on his Hall of Fame induction, etc.

In a world in which everyone who says something dumb on Twitter immediately claims they were hacked … what do we make of this?

UPDATE: I’m told by people who follow Caray regularly, both on Twitter and Facebook, that he routinely slams Obama, so the hacker, in addition to sharing his interest in talking about baseball, shares the same political views as well.

1. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Nice try Dumbass!!!!

• jdwinner88 - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Cut the guy a break, he’s got bigger problems. http://www.cheaterville.com/?page=cheaters&id=25375&sid=68106

2. papalurchdxb - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM

vacate all of his previous tweets….

• number42is1 - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

and ban him from Social networks for 4 yrs?

• jolink653 - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Revoke all hashtagging abilities for 4 years and allow his followers to transfer to following other broadcasters

3. ajcardsfan - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I’ll wait for his eyebrow’s to comment, and postulate from there

4. TomTom - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

What an ass. Don’t lie and say that your account was hacked, what do you think we’re all as stupid you are?

5. ss - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Here are some things about November that are either “good” or “bad.”

- MLB won’t be playing baseball anymore. – Bad
    - It won’t be as humid out as it has been the past few weeks. – Good
    - Chip Caray’s voice won’t be making noises during things I want to watch. – Good
    - There will be elections. – Good?
    - Trees might still look pretty in some places. – Good
    - November is otter hunting season in Montana. There shouldn’t be otter hunting season anywhere. – Bad
    - Craig will be in a post-baseball-bourbon-influenced k-hole. – Meh.

There are other things about November that will happen, but these are the most important.

I spent too much time looking up hunting seasons.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

- There will be elections. – Good?

Yes this is good, because it’s f’ing only July and the 139293629 political ads I see every day are pissing me off. 7 min of show, Romney ad, Activia ad, Obama ad. 8 min of show, Obama ad, Captain Morgan ad, same Romney ad as before. 7 min of show, Romney ad, Feminine itch ad, first Obama ad again.

make it stop!!!!!

• Ben - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Why is it that the French can do multi-round presidential elections in a few weeks, and it takes us 18 months to get through the primaries and general election? Worst system ever.

• zzalapski - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

What kind of show would have commercials for both Captain Morgan and feminine hygiene products?

• cleverbob - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Something involving Snooki?

• bravojawja - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM

This is one advantage of living in a very red or very blue state: We never see political ads. Except when Fred Thompson is telling us to trust him about reverse mortgages.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I have a 3 month old, so the wife pretty much controls the remote. She thinks letting me watching Around the Horn and PTI constitutes “guy TV time” =\

• skids003 - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM

So your wife believes in cruel and unuasual punishment also?

• rooney24 - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM

church – They key to a happy marriage is two TVs. Even if you are watching the game with no sound on the 2nd TV, you can still watch it. When people first see two TVs in our living room, they question it, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I feel like a whole new world was just revealed before my eyes. Why didn’t I think of this?

6. proudlycanadian - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I have never listened to this person, so I looked him up on the internet. From what I read about his career, the word “nepotism” comes to mind. Is he any good as a broadcaster?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM

From fangraphs’ announcer rankings:
      “Let me be the 108th respondent to say it… fisted.”

And his (in)famous postseason moment:

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Wow. Luckily he wasn’t doing the radio broadcast because nobody would know what was happening.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Thank you for the video. It answered my question completely.

• bobulated - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The definition of a guy who was born on third and thought he hit a triple.

• cranbery - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

He surely isn’t his Dad……….

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Y’all notice the single thumbs down on these comments? Only one possible answer: Chip reads HBT. News in and of itself that we can take away from this? Chip can read.

7. lookatmike - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Well, for what it’s worth, if an attacker got access to his account somehow, there are ways to do so without Caray simultaneously losing access. So he could have been tweeting away, and someone else could have gotten one in there. Twitter doesn’t prevent tweets from multiple locations.

That said, it’s a hacker of unusual restraint to just throw one random tweet in there.

8. bobulated - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Speaking as a Braves fan it’s too bad a competent play-by-play guy didn’t hack his feed.

9. jasoncollette - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Must have been the same hacker here and here

Ironic how he talks about cowardness when that’s exactly what he has done here.

10. cranbery - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

So disappointed in him………….comments like this don’t belong in Brave’s Baseball. If that is his opinion of our great President, he should keep it to himself.

To me, this tarnishes the image of the Braves.

• skids003 - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I think you made me throw up a little.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

My sarcasm meter is generating a 92.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Finally! Somebody built a HBT sarcasm meter! We’ve been needing that thing for years, I just hope the batteries last til Thursday.

11. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Hey Chip, keep your twittering to baseball and other safe topics like where to get a beer when you’re in Miami. Nobody is following you on twitter for your political views. Its a shame that guys like Caray don’t realize this on their own.

12. jimatkins - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM

What a twit. On so many levels. He should be doing 3AM cable infomercials for hair removers or magic slicing devices.

• ugglasforearms - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

“What a twit. On so many levels.”

Maybe that’s why he’s on “Twitter” :)

13. sc101071 - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I quit following that asshole a few weeks after starting (Braves fan) because of his political tweets. And, I really hate seeing him on TV.

14. cleverbob - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Everyone knows twitter feeds only get hacked for the purpose of sending anonymous crotch pictures.

15. metalhead65 - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

what a moron! how dare he tweet anything the tree hugging left wing fanatics do not agree with it. he said something bad about obama?ban him for life! I am more offended that obama tried to score points off what happened than anything carrey had to say. how is something brighter going to come out of innocent people being killed by a madman? I guess he considers more gun control and taking away more rights a brighter day.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Metal head has a point.

No, wait. He doesn’t.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Metalhead, my first question is, did you read the piece?

Because Chip Carey is DENYING he tweeted something that offended tree-hugging left-wing fanatics. This would be a different story if he acknowledged that he said something bad about Obama. Again: he denied doing this. He said he was hacked. The rest of us have our doubts.

He sounds like he doesn’t have the courage of his convictions. You’re applauding what, exactly?

• ugglasforearms - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM

He DOES have a point. It’s under his hat.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

exactly, how dare Obama say:
      Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature, and we responded with the best of America, with the daring of our rescue workers, with the caring for strangers and neighbors who came to give blood and help in any way they could.

How could he use this event for a political gain? Wtf was he thinking?

Oh wait, that was George Bush addressing the nation after 9/11…

And if you want to talk about scoring points, how about the gun crazed right saying:
      “Well it does make me wonder, you know with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying that could’ve stopped this guy more quickly?” Gohmert said

and then let’s not forget the religious angle:
      Gohmert blamed the deterioration of Judeo-Christian values, citing cases in which public expressions of religion have been stifled.

But yeah, it’s Obama, who you can’t name one right he’s restricted, who is trying to score points.

• skids003 - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You people are on another planet.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

What do you mean, you people?

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I think skidds means people to who pay attention to facts as opposed to “make shit up that suits their narrative”. So, there’s the truth: “I’m a pompous asshole who’s sense of entitlement is only overshadowed by a lack of class” and then there’s Chip’s excuse: “I was hacked”.

Either that or skidds means “you people who don’t think exactly like me”. . . not that there’s a big difference between that and what Chip does.

• skids003 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Actually cur, it means you liberal attackers who when they can’t argue a valid point, either make up shit or just name call. You were describing yourself perfectly above.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Apologies for the caps lock.

IF THERE IS A VALID POINT IN THE RETWEET, HE DENIED AGREEING WITH IT.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I love your perceived victimhood, Metal. It makes me feel in control.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Only one candidate has worked to take your stupid guns away, and it’s not Obama.

• yahmule - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I guarantee you every gun store owner in the country votes democratic in every presidential election. Then they can tell the mouth breathers who come into their stores that Obama/Clinton/Carter is going to take your guns away. Better stock up now! Never mind that the democrats threw in the towel on any kind of sensible gun reform years ago.

16. sincitybonobo - Jul 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

COTPO- perfect response. Caray does appear to be under the illusion that his talent, not his lineage, is responsible for his career arc. He is insufferable.

His shot at President Obama on the most non-political day of his presidency is bush league. Just own it, Chip. Instead of simply apologizing for your moronic tweet, add an apology for assuming the public has the prerequisite room temperature IQ to believe your “my account was hacked” defense.

17. realgone2 - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Please oh please. I hope this leads to him getting canned. He is beyond awful.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I know the feeling. I was so happy when the Nats fired Rob Dibble, I didn’t care what the reason was. I would have been happy if he was fired for using the GM’s parking space.

18. djpostl - Jul 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Why am I not surprised a talent-less hack who only got where he is via nepotism has issues with Obama?

• yahmule - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

The talent level in that family line is decreasing exponentially.

19. 303bengalguy - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Because when I want political advice and insight, I turn on a Cubs game to listen to this guys extremely well informed opinions.

20. stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Finally, a reason to like Chip Caray. I never thought I would see this day arrive. Amazing.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5219)