Jul 24, 2012, 8:28 PM EST
And now it appears Anaheim is getting serious.
From ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian comes word that the Halos and Rays have discussed a trade that would send Shields out west in exchange for center fielder Peter Bourjos and catcher Hank Conger. But the “deal is complicated,” according to Kurkjian’s source, because money would also have to be involved and struggling right-hander Ervin Santana might somehow be worked into the mix.
Shields, 30, has posted an ugly 4.39 ERA in 131 1/3 innings this season despite a sparkling 124/39 K/BB ratio. His contract carries a $9 million club option for 2013 and a $12 million club option for 2014.
Bourjos, 25, is an elite defender who has been made expendable by the rise of Mike Trout. Conger is a 24-year-old former first-round pick who boasts a .298/.360/.463 career batting line in the minor leagues.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)