Jul 24, 2012, 2:31 PM EST
Mariano Rivera was proceeding as if he were going to pitch this September. And Rivera’s physical therapist waxed enthusiastic about the idea to the New York Post. But that’s not happening says Brian Cashman, who was interviewed about it on SiriusXM radio today.
And, by the way, Cashman says, that physical therapist should shut up:
Host/Jim Duquette: “Mo, is there a chance he could come back? We saw some reports that he might be able to come back.”
Brian Cashman: “No. I mean, his physical therapist that he’s working with, I thought was unprofessional and went public with things. I mean, medical personnel should be quiet. And it’s not our physical therapist, it’s someone he’s got that we’ve signed off on. But those guys should not be doing interviews and he provided an interview that was, you know, not a fair reflection of where this player’s at. His over-enthusiasm, I thought, provided improper information. He’s not coming back this year and I wish he was, I wish he was, but unfortunately people get excited. They want to get their name out there for whatever reason and so he got a day in the sun, but he’ll be proven wrong in the end unfortunately. So, he got all our fans excited and a lot more media attention for myself to deal with, but he’s not coming back this year. I wish he was.”
Cashman may have a point about the therapist, but still: buzzkill.
Oh well. Guess I’ll go back to one of my favorite new hobbies this year: trolling Yankees fans by asking them, if Mariano Rivera is so great, why are the Yankees still in first place as if he had never left in the first place?
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 32
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)