Cole Hamels reportedly offered $140 million

Jul 24, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT

We’ve heard that the Phillies offered Cole Hamels $130 million or so. But would you believe … $140 million?

That’s two levels of hearsay, but it is late July, so what do you expect?

If, however, Hamels is really being offered $140 million by the Phillies and he doesn’t take it, you gotta assume the Dodgers are going to unload the money truck on him this fall. Or at least assume that he believes that.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM

6/140 is a fair offer. I’d go 6/146…more per year than Lee, etc. If that doesn’t get it done, well the Phillies made a fair effort and Hamels wants to go elsewhere. It is what it is.

• paperlions - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Still possible he could be traded (or not) and re-sign with the Phils for the same deal after testing the FA waters though…isn’t it?

• Kevin S. - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Depends on whether or not Philly thinks offering him the qualifying offer is going to depress his offers from other teams at all.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM

It is possible. Though I have a suspicion that if he hits the FA market, he will not be in Phillies pinstripes next season. Unless this is all an elaborate ruse that RAJ and Hamels are perpetrating and their is a handshake agreement in place…..I just don’t see that as likely though.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Why would it depress his value to other teams?

• paperlions - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Don’t get me wrong, if I was a Philly fan, I would assume he was gone at this point….but, it could be that he is just hell bent on seeing what is out there, and if nothing is better than 6/$140M…he could possibly still come back.

• Kevin S. - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Because offering the QO means that the Phillies would be entitled to draft-pick compensation if another team signed Cole Hamels. I mean, personally I kind of doubt that losing a first would significantly depress the offers for someone like Hamels, but if RAJ thinks it might, that would be a reason not to trade him and then try to get him back come November.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM

They don’t do the draft pick compensation thing anymore.

• Kevin S. - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s what the Qualifying Offer exists for. Unless the pick doesn’t come from the signing team. I’ll have to double check on that.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I get what you are saying…just did a bit of research myself. If he is traded and leaves his new team, they would not receive draft pick compensation but because Hamels offer will be some enormous (I think I read average of 125 richest contracts), the Phillies would receive compensation from the team that he signs with. Gotcha. Was somewhat ignorant of the rules set forth by the new CBA.

2. ame123 - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Why should the Phillies pay full retail on this guy? If he doesn’t want 140, I’d much rather get Olt from the Rangers. Good luck on getting CC money in free agence Hamels.

3. xmatt0926x - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I understand his desire to test the market and be curious as to what other teams value him at but is he really going to get much more than 6 for $140 million? Is the risk of injury worth it? Sign the deal Cole. Unless he has decided that he just really wants to move on.

• flyeaglesfly23 - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I agree, you can fault the Phillies if they can’t keep him with that kind of offer. I wouldn’t go any higher, personally. I don’t even think he’s worth that much, but we know the “overpay” model we’re in right now…

4. steviep23 - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Man. Is the heat getting to people’s heads?

5. uyf1950 - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Hummmm, 6 yrs/$140MM add an easy 7th year vesting option something along the lines of what Lee’s 6th year vesting option is. Then if he doesn’t jump on it almost immediately get on the phone to every large market GM and see what they will offer for him. Because he isn’t going to re-sign with the Phillies.

6. keithbangedyermom - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

insane. no way is any pitcher worth that.

7. Kevin S. - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I really have to wonder if the Dodgers (or some other team) is loudly ruminating about how they wished an ace-caliber pitcher were available this winter and that they’d pay any price to get him. Because I’m just not sure how one could bet on doing better than 6/$140MM in free agency as a pitcher without having some idea that the offer’s there. It’s happened exactly once, and it happened for a pitcher with a better track record and a team uniquely known for its deep pockets.

8. randygnyc - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

As predicted, the phillies are leaking each and every incremental offer increase. My instincts tell me he’s looking for CC Sabathia money and the Phillies know this and have no intention of going that far. All this other stuff is Kabuki.

9. Jonny 5 - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

They will get a deal done. Chillax folks. Just Chillax.

• ame123 - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM

At this point, he’s not worth this much.

• chadjones27 - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Agreed. But I also don’t think any pitcher is worth that much. Unless he’s guaranteed to pitch shut-outs every time. But, since we’re not making the financial decisions of the MLB teams, if someone is willing to pay it, then, to them, he’s worth that much.

10. psunick - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I sure hope Cole isn’t “blindsided” by this lowball offer.

11. lionsflyersandredbirds - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Give it another two weeks and Amaro will probably give him majority ownership of the Phillies…

12. burgundyandgold - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

That would be $44.39 for every second of every year for the next six years. Stupid money.

• NJgriffNC - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Would be 73.9 cents per second for the next 6 years. ~$2,663.62 per hour over the next 6 years. Cole averages 34 starts over a 162 game season, so that is ~204 regular season starts over the next 6 years. That is $686,274.51 per start. Let’s say he averages 90 pitches a start (because I can’t find that number anywhere), that would be $7,625 a pitch over the next 6 years. Yes I was bored, and now I’m…flabbergasted?

13. bleedgreen - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Hamels should talk to Ryan Madson and Jimmy Rollins about the free agent market. Granted, he’s a better player than both of them.

What if its just a ruse to get some schmuck team to give up prospects and then resign him after the season? Then they get some prospects/players + Cole for what they would have just had Cole for.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

What if Hamels talks to Pujols or Fielder? The market works both ways, although the two you cited weren’t exactly the cream of the crop when it came to the FA market.

14. pinkfloydprism - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

If true, this team will be a bottom dweller for a while. Too much payroll already, and not enough performance.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. C. Gonzalez (2400)