Even when Angel Hernandez is right, he’s wrong

Jul 24, 2012, 10:48 PM EDT

Darin Mastoianni

With the White Sox down 4-2 to the Twins, Alejandro De Aza hit a liner to shallow right to lead off the top of the seventh tonight. Darin Mastroianni made a diving play on the ball, but came up a little short, and replays made it clear he grabbed the ball on a hop, leaving De Aza with what should have been a single.

And that’s what it would have been, had first-base umpire Angel Hernandez’s call stood. He ruled no catch on the play, but the umpires gathered afterwards and reversed the call, giving Mastroianni a catch.

How Hernandez allowed that to happen is anyone’s guess. He clearly had the best angle on the play, and while I’m not 100 percent sure about this, he should be functioning as the crew chief with normal crew chief Ed Rapuano apparently on vacation.

As it turned out, the blown call may not make much of a difference. Despite losing a baserunner, the White Sox went on to score four runs in the seventh and take a 6-4 lead. Of course, that only happened after Hawk Harrelson said “That is B.S.” on three occasions, later adding, “That’s ridiculous,” “That’s a joke” and “Boy, I wish I could cuss right now.”

1. Matthew Pouliot - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM

And, yes, those are real quotes. I didn’t make them up.

• Bryz - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I honestly thought you just went into a satirical direction at the end. However, I’m not surprised Hawk actually said all those things.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Yeah, that’s why I figured I needed the disclaimer… because that is so something I would actually do.

• hungry joe - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM

i can confirm that he did indeed say all those things.

2. A.J. - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I appreciate him going into get the other umps view of things. It’s a shame they didn’t get it right, but HUMAN ELEMENT!!!

Even though I think Angel is almost always a jackass, I applaud him trying to get it right.

You know what he should have done though. Look at the replay.

Thanks again Bud.

3. keithbangedyermom - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Why do umpires need vacations? Isn’t it a seven months a year job?

• hammyofdoom - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I read an article about Umpiring and how they are away from family far more often than even baseball players are, because while baseball players are “home” half the time its not even close to that for umps. More than anything its being able to not be estranged from your family for 7 months out of the year

4. hittfamily - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I would think it would be easier for the 2nd base umpire to make the call, so I’d put it on him. If you want to decide if a ball changes directions, like from having a downward trajectory, to an upward trajectory, you need to have an angle on it. Looking at it from the side would be easier than straight on.

5. matt20hew - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Reblogged this on Today's News.

6. jon623 - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – we need an umpires compilation video at the end of this season.

7. cur68 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Baseball needs a couple of new stats in the box score: Run on Umpire Error (RUE). This error did not result in a run, so is not a RUE, but had it might have cost a run so its probably an Out on Umpire Error (OUE). Also possible are Human Element Run (HER) or Human Element Out (HEO).

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS