Jul 24, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Frank Francisco was supposed to begin a minor-league rehab assignment today for his oblique injury, but those plans have been pushed back because the Mets closer is having knee problems.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Francisco threw a 40-pitch bullpen session Sunday at Citi Field, but woke up yesterday with “right knee discomfort.” He got an anti-inflammatory injection and will presumably try again later this week.
Francisco has been out since June 23 and fill-in closer Bobby Parnell has blown two of his four save chances during that time, but also has a 2.53 ERA and 9/0 K/BB ratio in 11 innings.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)