Grady Sizemore still hopes to contribute in 2012

Jul 24, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT

sizemore ap AP

This is the saddest game of ping pong ever.

Now, Grady Sizemore thinks he can still contribute:

Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore, rehabbing his knees and back, said he still hopes to play this season but that there is no timetable for his return. His comeback attempt has been aborted at several stages, primarily because of difficulty running on natural surfaces.

If only it was the 70s and half the league played on turf.

1. hojo20 - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Yep, back then a ton of teams played on turf and I bet 33% of the league had a light blue road jersey.

2. El Bravo - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I assume by offering free back rubs in the clubhouse to players actually playing?

3. deathmonkey41 - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM

And I still hope to find Susanna Hoffs in my bed when I come home at night. Sometimes hope is a silly thing.

4. shanabartels - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM

“Difficulty running on natural surfaces” is such a funny phrase. Sizemore can run on polyester or nylon, but not on the surface of the moon or water. He can run on a bed of marshmallow fluff, but not on a bed of lettuce.

I’m guessing it just means he can run on the elliptical machine because it reduces impact whereas running outdoors is too harsh on his knee joints. But why don’t they just say that?

• willsolo - Jul 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I’m gonna say it’s a bit difficult to run on marshmallow fluff due to the stickyness, and lettuce because of the moisture.

5. Ralph - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Contribute? How? Is he going to return a portion of his salary?

6. jon623 - Jul 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

One of the saddest falls of one of the most hyped players in recent memory. Seriously, this kid has amazing raw talent and I expected him to be on top of the game for years. His downfall is a brutally sad story for him, the Indians, and the MLB.

7. brownsapologist - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM

The Indians will sign him again after this contract is over because his current one is almost entirely incentive based. The Dolan’s love low risk low reward contracts. It’s what keeps up mediocre.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS