Jason Kendall retires from the Northwest Arkansas Naturals

Jul 24, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT

That was fast. Five days after signing with the Double-A Northwest Arkansas Naturals — a Royals affiliate — the following tweet just came rolling out:

So sad. I mean, I was just getting done being upset about the Royals signing Kendall. All of that wasted effort!

1. darthicarus - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I believe I’m one of 3 people who can say he was my favorite baseball player, the other two are Stevie Wonder & Kendall himself.

2. lionsfan415 - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Despite being a Tigers fan, I do live in Kansas City, and I dont think anyone here in KC will lose any sleep over this news.

3. shawnamer - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM

So basically he signed with the Royals to get one last paycheck. What a douchebag.

• nategearhart - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Or, maybe it was for another reason. Go pretend to be a mind reader somewhere else.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Dude had career earnings of $83.5 Million. I’m sure the couple hundy he earned in his 72 hours with the Naturals was why he signed there.

4. sportsdrenched.com - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM

The real question is, will he be going into “The Hall of Grit” as a Natural or a Pirate?

5. itsabergthing - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

He was one of my favorite Pirates over the last 19 years of losing, who knows what he could have been if it weren’t for 07/04/99 when he literaly left part of himself on the field running out a bunt. Only his 4th season in the Majors and he was having a great year at the time of the injury .332/.428/.511/.939; never anywhere near the same afterwards.

• darthicarus - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I actually remember seeing that game on WGN vs. the Cubs. One of the few Pirates games I saw living in Michigan. Still remember that flopping ankle, gruesome.

• darthicarus - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Got my games confused, the WGN one was a walk-off HR he hit…but somehow I was watching that game where he broke his ankle. Don’t mind me.

6. JustMeMike - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Maybe he just had step out on a field to get a measure of his own worth. If he felt like he could play, he could stay with it. If he felt that he couldn’t play, he’d step aside.

When I felt that I couldn’t run, jump, rebound, or create my own shot against guys half my age – I stopped setting foot on any playground basketball court.

If Kendall needed to experience this for himself, what is wrong with it?

7. spudatx - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM

So, he never made the big league squad. Can we still utter his name with the likes of Harmon, Gaylord, and Orlando?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3422)