Jul 24, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Lucas Duda‘s stay of execution was a short one.
That means Duda stuck around in the majors … but only for an extra 12 hours or so. He’s been optioned to Triple-A, with the Mets choosing to keep Kirk Nieuwenhuis around as outfield depth instead.
Duda worked his way into an extended opportunity with a strong performance last season, but hit just .241 with a .726 OPS in 89 games. He did flash solid power and plate discipline with 12 homers and 42 walks, but because of his poor defense Duda really has to produce to be a worthwhile regular.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 49
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 47
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games