Jul 24, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
Lucas Duda‘s stay of execution was a short one.
That means Duda stuck around in the majors … but only for an extra 12 hours or so. He’s been optioned to Triple-A, with the Mets choosing to keep Kirk Nieuwenhuis around as outfield depth instead.
Duda worked his way into an extended opportunity with a strong performance last season, but hit just .241 with a .726 OPS in 89 games. He did flash solid power and plate discipline with 12 homers and 42 walks, but because of his poor defense Duda really has to produce to be a worthwhile regular.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)