Jul 24, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Lucas Duda‘s stay of execution was a short one.
That means Duda stuck around in the majors … but only for an extra 12 hours or so. He’s been optioned to Triple-A, with the Mets choosing to keep Kirk Nieuwenhuis around as outfield depth instead.
Duda worked his way into an extended opportunity with a strong performance last season, but hit just .241 with a .726 OPS in 89 games. He did flash solid power and plate discipline with 12 homers and 42 walks, but because of his poor defense Duda really has to produce to be a worthwhile regular.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)