Jul 24, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Early this season it looked like it’d be impossible for the Rangers to let Josh Hamilton walk when he hits free agency this fall. Then Hamilton started to skid and he hasn’t stopped. In June he hit .223/.318/.436. In July he’s hitting .172/.242/.345. He has a grand total of seven homers in those two months.
Nolan Ryan was asked about it on a radio show the other day and this is what he had to say:
You’re right that some of his at bats aren’t very impressive from the standpoint that he doesn’t work deep into the count, he’s swinging at a lot of bad pitches, he just doesn’t seem to be locked in at all. So what you’re hoping is that his approach will change and he’ll start giving quality at bats because there’s a lot of those at bats that he just gives away. One of the things I’ve always commented on is I can’t ever say that I ever saw Henry [Hank] Aaron give an at bat away.
He speaks truth. And maybe I’m reading way too much into this, but I get the sense than he’s doing more than just describing what’s wrong with Hamilton. Rather, he’s also laying the groundwork for letting Hamilton walk after this year without Rangers fans going crazy. Reminding them that while Hamilton may be talented, he’s not the sort of superstar [cough] Hank Aaron [cough] that only comes around once in a lifetime and, yes, we will survive without him.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (197)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)