Jul 24, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
Early this season it looked like it’d be impossible for the Rangers to let Josh Hamilton walk when he hits free agency this fall. Then Hamilton started to skid and he hasn’t stopped. In June he hit .223/.318/.436. In July he’s hitting .172/.242/.345. He has a grand total of seven homers in those two months.
Nolan Ryan was asked about it on a radio show the other day and this is what he had to say:
You’re right that some of his at bats aren’t very impressive from the standpoint that he doesn’t work deep into the count, he’s swinging at a lot of bad pitches, he just doesn’t seem to be locked in at all. So what you’re hoping is that his approach will change and he’ll start giving quality at bats because there’s a lot of those at bats that he just gives away. One of the things I’ve always commented on is I can’t ever say that I ever saw Henry [Hank] Aaron give an at bat away.
He speaks truth. And maybe I’m reading way too much into this, but I get the sense than he’s doing more than just describing what’s wrong with Hamilton. Rather, he’s also laying the groundwork for letting Hamilton walk after this year without Rangers fans going crazy. Reminding them that while Hamilton may be talented, he’s not the sort of superstar [cough] Hank Aaron [cough] that only comes around once in a lifetime and, yes, we will survive without him.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (150)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)