Jul 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Alexi Ogando‘s versatility has basically allowed the Rangers to move him back and forth from the rotation to the bullpen based on whichever spot has been wrecked more by injuries.
He’s thrived in both roles and with Colby Lewis out for the season following Tommy John elbow surgery, Neftali Feliz on the disabled list with his own elbow problems, and Roy Oswalt‘s bad back acting up the Rangers are considering moving him into the rotation again.
For now Ogando remains in the bullpen, where he has a 1.95 ERA in 77 career appearances, but general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Forth Worth Star Telegram that making him a starter again is “something we’ve talked about” and “we may look for opportunities in the game to stretch him out and give us that option.”
For now 21-year-old prospect Martin Perez is plugging the rotation hole, but if he struggles Ogando and his 3.49 ERA in 30 career starts is one hell of a fallback option.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)