Jul 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Alexi Ogando‘s versatility has basically allowed the Rangers to move him back and forth from the rotation to the bullpen based on whichever spot has been wrecked more by injuries.
He’s thrived in both roles and with Colby Lewis out for the season following Tommy John elbow surgery, Neftali Feliz on the disabled list with his own elbow problems, and Roy Oswalt‘s bad back acting up the Rangers are considering moving him into the rotation again.
For now Ogando remains in the bullpen, where he has a 1.95 ERA in 77 career appearances, but general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Forth Worth Star Telegram that making him a starter again is “something we’ve talked about” and “we may look for opportunities in the game to stretch him out and give us that option.”
For now 21-year-old prospect Martin Perez is plugging the rotation hole, but if he struggles Ogando and his 3.49 ERA in 30 career starts is one hell of a fallback option.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)