Jul 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Alexi Ogando‘s versatility has basically allowed the Rangers to move him back and forth from the rotation to the bullpen based on whichever spot has been wrecked more by injuries.
He’s thrived in both roles and with Colby Lewis out for the season following Tommy John elbow surgery, Neftali Feliz on the disabled list with his own elbow problems, and Roy Oswalt‘s bad back acting up the Rangers are considering moving him into the rotation again.
For now Ogando remains in the bullpen, where he has a 1.95 ERA in 77 career appearances, but general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Forth Worth Star Telegram that making him a starter again is “something we’ve talked about” and “we may look for opportunities in the game to stretch him out and give us that option.”
For now 21-year-old prospect Martin Perez is plugging the rotation hole, but if he struggles Ogando and his 3.49 ERA in 30 career starts is one hell of a fallback option.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)