Jul 24, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The trade rumors surrounding Justin Upton won’t officially die until the July 31 trading deadline passes, but they were all but put to rest by Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick on Monday.
Kendrick, speaking from his vacation home in Colorado, said it’s a “reasonable assumption” Upton will be a Diamondback the rest of the season. “I think we’re better off with him on our team,” Kendrick said. “I this whole thing has gotten way more attention than it deserves.”
Well, it probably wouldn’t have gotten much attention at all if it hadn’t been kicked off by Kendrick himself, who decided to publicly criticize Upton last month, setting off the trade rumors and speculation. Indeed, at any time since then Kendrick could have said flat-out that the Dbacks weren’t trading Upton and — poof! — it all would have gone away.
But hey, it’s his baseball team. He can run it the way he wants to.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)