Jul 24, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The trade rumors surrounding Justin Upton won’t officially die until the July 31 trading deadline passes, but they were all but put to rest by Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick on Monday.
Kendrick, speaking from his vacation home in Colorado, said it’s a “reasonable assumption” Upton will be a Diamondback the rest of the season. “I think we’re better off with him on our team,” Kendrick said. “I this whole thing has gotten way more attention than it deserves.”
Well, it probably wouldn’t have gotten much attention at all if it hadn’t been kicked off by Kendrick himself, who decided to publicly criticize Upton last month, setting off the trade rumors and speculation. Indeed, at any time since then Kendrick could have said flat-out that the Dbacks weren’t trading Upton and — poof! — it all would have gone away.
But hey, it’s his baseball team. He can run it the way he wants to.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 4
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?