Jul 24, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The trade rumors surrounding Justin Upton won’t officially die until the July 31 trading deadline passes, but they were all but put to rest by Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick on Monday.
Kendrick, speaking from his vacation home in Colorado, said it’s a “reasonable assumption” Upton will be a Diamondback the rest of the season. “I think we’re better off with him on our team,” Kendrick said. “I this whole thing has gotten way more attention than it deserves.”
Well, it probably wouldn’t have gotten much attention at all if it hadn’t been kicked off by Kendrick himself, who decided to publicly criticize Upton last month, setting off the trade rumors and speculation. Indeed, at any time since then Kendrick could have said flat-out that the Dbacks weren’t trading Upton and — poof! — it all would have gone away.
But hey, it’s his baseball team. He can run it the way he wants to.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 18
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 89
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 98
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 81
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 95
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)