Jul 24, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
The trade rumors surrounding Justin Upton won’t officially die until the July 31 trading deadline passes, but they were all but put to rest by Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick on Monday.
Kendrick, speaking from his vacation home in Colorado, said it’s a “reasonable assumption” Upton will be a Diamondback the rest of the season. “I think we’re better off with him on our team,” Kendrick said. “I this whole thing has gotten way more attention than it deserves.”
Well, it probably wouldn’t have gotten much attention at all if it hadn’t been kicked off by Kendrick himself, who decided to publicly criticize Upton last month, setting off the trade rumors and speculation. Indeed, at any time since then Kendrick could have said flat-out that the Dbacks weren’t trading Upton and — poof! — it all would have gone away.
But hey, it’s his baseball team. He can run it the way he wants to.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 31
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)