Jul 24, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Last week there was some brief brouhaha over the Marlins trading Hanley Ramirez to the Red Sox for Carl Crawford, but that died pretty quickly and, in hindsight, seems like one of those “I’m bored, what do you wanna do/I don’t know, what do you wanna do” conversations. But the Marlins may be a bit more serious than that. Scott Miller for CBS Sports.com:
Clubs who have spoken with the Marlins think more moves will follow, sources tell CBSSports.com. There is a strong belief that the Marlins would like to deal Ramirez, who has not produced under first-year manager Ozzie Guillen the way they hoped he would.
Ramirez is signed through 2014 and is owned the remainder of his $12 million for this season plus $31.5 million more for 2013-14. That’s a decent deal if Ramirez snap back into something approaching his 2006-10 form.
But given where his head is these days — punching fans and forgetting to take his medicine, leading to an infection — Ramirez figuring anything out seems like a tall order.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)