Jul 24, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Last week there was some brief brouhaha over the Marlins trading Hanley Ramirez to the Red Sox for Carl Crawford, but that died pretty quickly and, in hindsight, seems like one of those “I’m bored, what do you wanna do/I don’t know, what do you wanna do” conversations. But the Marlins may be a bit more serious than that. Scott Miller for CBS Sports.com:
Clubs who have spoken with the Marlins think more moves will follow, sources tell CBSSports.com. There is a strong belief that the Marlins would like to deal Ramirez, who has not produced under first-year manager Ozzie Guillen the way they hoped he would.
Ramirez is signed through 2014 and is owned the remainder of his $12 million for this season plus $31.5 million more for 2013-14. That’s a decent deal if Ramirez snap back into something approaching his 2006-10 form.
But given where his head is these days — punching fans and forgetting to take his medicine, leading to an infection — Ramirez figuring anything out seems like a tall order.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead