What does Dave Winfield think about Ichiro wearing his number?

Jul 24, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

This is what he thinks:

Bob Wickman, Javier Vazquez and Hensley “Bam Bam” Muelens beg to differ.

For that matter so do Jim Wright, Roy Sherid,  Charles O’Leary, Jimmy Burke, Cy Perkins, Jim Burke, John Schulte, Art Fletcher, Red Rolfe, John Corriden, Jim Turner, Johnny Sain, Jim Gleeson, Cot Deal, Mel Wright, Ed Figueroa, Jeff Torborg, Brian Dorsett, Mike Humphreys, Frank Tanana, Xavier Hernandez, Brian Boehringer, Tim Raines, Dan Naulty, Lance Johnson, Ben Ford, Glenallen Hill, Steve Karsay, Aaron Small, Jason Anderson, Jose Veras, Josh Phelps, Edwar Ramirez, Ian KennedyMichael Dunn and Pedro Feliciano.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 24, 2012 at 8:44 AM

What ever happened to that Ian Kennedy chap?

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM

he got traded to the dbacks in the granderson deal and won 21 games last year. You know something you won’t see any bluejay pitcher doing, maybe losing 21 but thats about it

• surefooted1 - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

You mean Blue Jay pitchers like David Wells, Roy Halladay, Roger Clemens,and Pat Hentgen?

2. Detroit Michael - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Frankly, it looks like Winfield is right. The only other possible Hall of Famer there is Tim Raines, and his Yankee years didn’t add a lot to his Hall of Fame candidacy.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

So, you’re saying Mike Humphreys probably won’t make it into Canton then?

• seandconner - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Cooperstown…………………………

• harrysatchel - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Wrong sport. I’m pretty sure you meant Cooperstown. I guess for the record, Mike Humphreys has as much shot at Canton as Stan Humphries.

• skids003 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Reminds me of when he kneed that Ohio State basketball player in the groin.

3. sdelmonte - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Have to say he’s right. And had there not been such bad blood between him and the Boss, his time as a Yankee might be a bit more celebrated.

4. nightrain42 - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Yeah he is 100% correct with that statement.

5. yahmule - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Based strictly on how they wore that number as Yankees, I would say Ed Figueroa outclasses the field. He also gets bonus points for having all five vowels in his last name.

6. makeham98 - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM

George gave Winfield one of the all-time great nicknames – Mr. May.

• yahmule - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM

It was nice of Dave not to counter that by giving George the nickname Mr Convicted Felon Who Associates With Scumbags Like Howie Spira.

7. cerowb - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Get over yourself, Mr. Winfield.

• Old Gator - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Get over what? They guy was a great player in several sports, is in two Halls of Fame (Baseball and College Basketball), and refused to knuckle under to King George despite some truly outrageous pressure and outright slander. Howsabout you get a sense of perspective on how nonexistent is your entitlement to tell Winfield how to regard himself, nobody?

• cerowb - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Wow…that might be an overreaction…

Listen, Winfield was a great player to be sure. I’m just not on board with athletes telling people, “Look how great I am!”. That’s all. No biggie.

8. zerohandicapper - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

He obviously didnt wear it well enough. Its still being worn.

• Old Gator - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

From one Hall of Famer to a future Hall of Famer. Not a lot to be ashamed of there, really.

9. raybrower - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM

He can be right but what’s the point of saying it?

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

He was asked.

10. pisano - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I mean really, who cares, had it been Paul O’neill, or Bernie Williams numbers (both should be retired) I think most Yankee fans would be offended, as those two players were what George called “warriors” but Dave Winfield? he and George were at each others throat. I agree with yahmule, I relate that number to Ed Figueroa, who did far more for the Yankees than Winfield and was a class act.

• hcf95688 - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Paul O’Neill? Bernie Williams? Numbers retired? Do the Yankees just retaire ANYONE’S number? Next we’ll here of them retiring some guys number that only played in the Bronx for five years. Wait. What? That already happened?

• mybrunoblog - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I am a looooong time Yankees fan. There is no way I want to see Paul Oniell or Bernie Williams numbers retired. Those guys were great Yankees but the Yanks have already cheapened the retired number thing. See: R Jackson, R Guidry, B Martin. Don’t make it worse. I think a plaque for Bernie in monument park would be fine. As for Oniell I understand he was a popular player and a big part of a dynasty era but so what? Are we gonna retire Tino or Brosius number too? Gotta draw a line somewhere….

• genericcommenter - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Long-time fan here, too. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of fans jumped on the Bandwagon in 1996, only have appreciation for guys on the modern WS run, and have some bizarre remembrance of Steinbrenner in context of the late 90s.

11. raysfan1 - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Odd how many are taking this seriously. Looks to me like it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

12. cackalackyank - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Paul O’neil and Bernie Williams did so much for the Yanksin the ’90’s but I am not seeing them as Hall of Famers. At some point I see #51 being retired and maybe 21. You can also add #2 to the retired list as soon as Jeter retires,and #6 should go on the list for Joe Torre imho. I predict the Yankees will be the first team to field a player with a 3 digit # on his back at the rate things are going.

• 18thstreet - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Celtics.

13. crali - Jul 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Winfield may have worn it the longest and he is a HOFer but if Ichiro brings the Yanks to a World Series he will have down more in #31 for the Yanks than Winfield ever did.

• thefalcon123 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I imagine the .640 OPSing Ichiro will have far less impact on the Yankees chances of winning than Dave Winfield did in the 1980s. I mean, I know all Dave did was make the All-Star team every year…

14. vallewho - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Nobody cares…

15. kevinbnyc - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Just one more example of people not respecting Brian Boehringer…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win