Why everyone should root for Glen Perkins, part infinity

Jul 24, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT

Two weeks ago Twins reliever Glen Perkins outed himself as a stat-head, which means he’s now subject to the same anti-sabermetrics taunting that lowly bloggers like me endure on a regular basis.

Case in point, this Twitter exchange between Perkins and a media member bully following last night’s game in which Twins hitters grounded into five double plays:

Nerds are the worst, amirite?

Perkins has a 3.16 ERA and 49 strikeouts in 43 innings, talks openly and intelligently about being into advanced statistical analysis, loves interacting with fans on Twitter, and even seems to not be annoyed by doofus bloggers making sarcastic jokes.

Forget becoming the Twins’ full-time closer. I nominate him for sainthood.

(And if you want to be just like Perkins, you can also follow me on Twitter.)

1. sdelmonte - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Amirite! My one weakness!

2. cur68 - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Duuuude. . . or is that “dooooood”? I find it hard to keep track.

• jon623 - Jul 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I think “dooood” is what the cool kids are saying theses days…. I’m young! I’m hip! Heeeey Macarena.

3. sknut - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Perkins is great, he’s on the radio weekly on does a great job. It’s amazing how far since he and the Twins had a spat a couple of years ago, he has turned it around and fun to watch.

• kopy - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Perkins should write an instruction manual for how to escape the Twins’ doghouse, and give it to the next Hardy, Garza, Pierzynski, etc. Too bad there isn’t a sabermetric stat that accounts for such schmoozing skills.

4. JB (the original) - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Forget becoming the Twins’ full-time closer. I nominate him for sainthood.
    Phewww, with all the heart pitter patter and eyelash batting going on there, I thought for a moment you were going to nominate him for Official Fantasy “Bro” of AG.com……

• Bryz - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Except it wouldn’t be fantasy, it would be reality.

5. kopy - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Even though it’s likely not something other teams would have done differently, it’s pretty funny the Twins had Perkins starting and Dickey coming out of the ‘pen when they are clearly more efficient with swapped roles.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

They were a little different back then.

6. baseballisboring - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I’ve never liked a non-descript left handed reliever more in my life.

• fmlizard - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I’m still more of a Pat Neshek man myself, but Perkins is A-OK. And a Gopher too!

7. The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Am I the only one who’s hearing Rob Lowe say Glen Perkins’ name?

8. hansob - Jul 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM

It’s just too bad he still insists on living in his mom’s basement.

• jon623 - Jul 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

How dare you spit on the newly-apointed sainthood of Glen Perkins.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3258)