Alex Rodriguez suffers fractured hand on HBP

Jul 25, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez 2

Alex Rodriguez suffered a non-displaced fracture in his left hand when he was hit by a Felix Hernandez slider on Tuesday night and will go on the disabled list, the Yankees announced after the 4-2 loss to the Mariners.

Here’s the video.

Even though it wasn’t a fastball at 88 mph, it looked like Rodriguez suffered a break from the moment he was hit. He was in serious pain as he rolled around on the ground, and he showed no interest in moving his wrist as he walked off the field.

Jayson Nix pinch-ran for Rodriguez. He and Eric Chavez figure to split time at third base for at least the next couple of weeks for the Yankees. While it’s good news that Rodriguez didn’t suffer a more serious fracture that would have been guaranteed to knock him out for at least 4-6 weeks, it still isn’t all that likely that he’ll be ready to go when his 15 days are up. For what it’s worth, Chavez said after the game that he missed five weeks in 2004 with a break similar to the one A-Rod suffered.

A-Rod was Hernandez’s second hit batter of the inning and third of the game. Derek Jeter was also hit in the hand by a pitch in the eighth, and while he seemed to be in considerable pain initially, he stayed in the game.

Hernandez was pulled following the A-Rod HBP, but he ended up with the win after allowing two runs in 7 1/3 innings. The second run scored after he left the game in the eighth. Lucas Luetge got out of the jam from there — though not before he knocked down Raul Ibanez with some chin music — and Tom Wilhelmsen closed it out for his 11th save.

Still trying to win a close game. the Yankees declined to send any messages back to the Mariners in the bottom of the eighth. One wonders if Ivan Nova will drill a batter early in Wednesday’s series finale. While it wasn’t obvious that any of the Mariners’ plunkings tonight were intentional, the fact that there were three, followed by the Ibanez dusting, could be considered worthy of retaliation.

1. randygnyc - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Jeter, arod and Ichiro. I couldn’t care less what the score is in the 8th, someone has to get hit. Felix hit em all. If its not ackley, it’ll have to be montero, tonight. Tomorrow well finish settling the score.

• Michael - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Note that A-Rod doesn’t even try to move. Hitters are so well-protected from any throwing inside these days that they just plant themselves. Kind of stupid, but I guess it creates more hits and more excitement for MLB…

• purnellmeagrejr - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Dammmit randy you foooled me again – I read your post – loooked at the name and realized I was sittting at the wrong end of the bar.

2. norvturnersneck - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Keep spending millions on Arod NY. He isn’t worth it. I believe he has 8 years or so left at 25 million or so.

Enjoy the heartache in October too. He hits about .250 and about .190 with men on base.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM

You believe wrong. Quite wrong.

Also, way to make it sound like it’s a continuing decision. Hank stole the keys to the car and fucked that one up before anybody could stop him. So long as A-Rod is overpaid but still reasonably productive, the Yankees are better off playing him than having him being overpaid and riding the bench.

• badintent - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Enjoy choking your chicken when the Bronx Bombers drop your BSox team in September in the last regular season series into the dumpster and out of the wildcard. Still throwing darts at your Bill Buckner poster ?? Or is it Bucky Dent ?.Either way, with $500 million coming in for 10 years just from cable TV alone, the Yankees can pay A-rod easy. Your entire pitching staff ain’t worth 2 cents, 15 runs to the Jays the other night. Pathetic Charlie Brown.

• Glenn - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM

2004? Greatest choke ever.

• mrwillie - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM

As much as ESPN would have you think differently there are 30 other teams besides the Sox that the Yanks have to deal with. One of them is the A’s…..heard of them?

• thefalcon123 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM

A-Rod’s post-season career:

.277/.386/.498

That’s certainly worse than his career totals. But hardly bad.

3. mikeincmn - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.

• bigharold - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Mikie, .. you always this much of a jackass or are you just showing off tonight??

• jon623 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM

bigharold…you always this sensitive, or are you just on your period tonight?

• jon623 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:00 AM

but all jokes aside bigharold (and I really was kidding) that looked like it hurt… I never wish any player to get injured, whether I’m a fan of them or not.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Great, so now we’ve got injury schadenfreude AND casual misogyny. Awesome!

• stex52 - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Yeah, why’s everybody so cranky this morning?

• mrwillie - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Yanks fans are cranky because they are used to being able to buy everything they need, and even up to a few years ago the could even buy some HGH to fix this little problem. Alas, now they have found something that can not be bought….time.

4. bloodysock - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I guess he wanted some attention after he didn’t get any earlier for his 2,000th K.

• badintent - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM

How’s that threesome going with Curt, you and the Governor of Rhode Island ?

5. hittfamily - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM

After losing Longo, Scott, Joyce, Upton, Jennings, Hellickson, Niemann, Farnesworth, Keppinger, and Fuld to the DH this year, all I can say is “Misery loves company”.

6. aceshigh11 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Goddamn, that must’ve hurt. It made me cringe just watching him writhing on the ground in pain.

I wouldn’t wish that on any ballplayer no matter how much I may dislike him.

7. fuddpucker - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Ha!

8. fuddpucker - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Mine!

9. bjbeliever - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM

thought he fractured his foot watching that…

10. Reflex - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM

First off, I feel for A-Rod, that looked painful.

Secondly, is it just me or are the M’s unintentionally wreaking havok on the Yankees the past few years? Sending Cliff Lee to Texas. Taking the Yanks best prospect for Pineda, who promptly breaks down. And now breaking A-Rod’s hand.

Given the history the Yanks have with the M’s, dating back to the Buhner trade, were I them I’d simply refuse to deal with Seattle. Seems like the Yanks never come out ahead.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Eh, they bent the Mariners sideways in the Tino trade, and they also ruined the Mariners’ 116-win season. I’d say each team has inflicted a fair amount of heartache on the other.

• Reflex - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Fair enough, but I stand by the damage being pretty one sided the past three seasons. I think 2001 was payback for what the M’s did to them back in 95 I believe(I wasn’t following them back then so I may be off a year or so).

From what I can tell the worst trade the M’s have made would have to be the Varitek deal. Sure, Dan Wilson was a great guy for a long time, but Varitek was a very good player for most of his career.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Oh yeah, I only went back to that since we were talking about the Buhner trade. Definitely in recent years there’s been a lot of Seattle-related frustration in the Universe. And ruining Seattle’s 116-win season was definitely payback for Seattle ruining Mattingly’s only trip to the playoffs.

• Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM

The Lowe/Varitek trade is definitely one of the greatest heists in recent memory. The return the Indians got for Colon was a bigger ripoff, and the Jeff Bagwell trade definitely worked out better for the Astros, but other than those two it’s tough to say if there’s been another deal more one-sided. Maybe the A-Rod/Soriano trade just because Cashman got Texas to eat like a third of the remaining salary.

11. randygnyc - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Saunders, ackley and montero have to be hit tomorrow. Any Yankee pitcher not capable needs to be DFA’d. I’m very serious. Tit for tat

12. diegosegui - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Randygnyc… You’re a Yankee? You sure are tough.

13. diegosegui - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Randy.. Youre stupid and so is your mother. She also blows for a small fee

14. 49ersgiants4life - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I guess roids make for weak bones too thanks for teaching me that lesson a rod I appreciate it

15. crankdatmanningham82 - Jul 25, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Jeter
    Ichiro
    Granderson
    Teixeira
    Cano
    Swisher(when healthy)
    Ibanez/Jones
    Nix/Chavez
    Martin

16. no1yanks28 - Jul 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Cano should not b 5th, he’s ur best hitter. Wouldnt want grandy 5th either or 2 lefties back to back. Jeter, grandy, tex, cano? Idk

17. mybrunoblog - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Rivera, Sabathia, Pettitte, Arod, Gardner…..lots of key injuries in 2012 for Yankees. Still in first place…..Very good baseball team…..A deep bench may be most underrated asset in baseball.

18. thefalcon123 - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Text message from my brother while he was at that game:

“Arod got fucked up by a pitch hahahahaha”

I’m now forced to consider the possibility that my brother may be a terrible person.

19. drewzducks - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Look on the bright side, at least he wasn’t shagging balls in the outfield.

20. mannyG - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Never good to see a player go down like that no matter who it is. How would you like it if you accidentally stepped into a pothole or something and fractured your ankle? I am not trying to defend A-Rod, I just think we shouldn’t rejoice over someone being injured like that!

• pellypell - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Reminds me the time I fractured my ankle at work and a bunch of guys I didn’t know started a blog to crap on me.

21. pellypell - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

This guys been walking around with the ol’ limp wrist for a while now, nobody will be none the wiser.

Tough break.

22. rcali - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Karma.

23. crankdatmanningham82 - Jul 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

As frustrated as us Yankee fans are with the season-by-season injuries from Arod a postseason like 2009 would replace an awful regular season.(not expected though)

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3092)