Alfonso Soriano drawing interest from “at least one club”

Jul 25, 2012, 8:19 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Chicago White Sox Getty Images

Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano is owed $36 million over the next two seasons, but he’s actually been pretty productive this summer and there are almost no power-hitters available on the trade market. So the overpaid 36-year-old is actually drawing interest.

From Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports comes word that “at least one club has inquired” about Soriano in recent weeks. And more could join the fray as next Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline approaches.

Soriano has a .918 OPS and 19 homers in 70 games since May 1. He is batting .274/.324/.503 overall.

Morosi lists the Dodgers, Giants, Indians and Pirates as potential trade partners, but that’s all speculation.

1. number42is1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Arod for Soriano straight up

• number42is1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I deserve those thumbs down…. only an idiot would make a trade like that

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM

The Yankees could try Soriano at 3B. Let’s razzle-dazzle ‘em.

2. hittfamily - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Do the Angels want to pay Wells, Kazmir, Abreu, and now Soriano too? They can’t go a single season without a franchise altering poor decision.

• chew1985 - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Don’t worry. The only team interested is the Bad News Bears and they’re not in your division.

• istillbelieveinblue - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Of course, the Cubs will have to pick up a large percentage of his salary, just like when they dumped Sammy a few years ago, and Zambrano last year.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Also from Morosi, “at least one club” will win the World Series this year.

4. kvanhorn87 - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I think the Phillies could take on another 20 mill deal

5. cerowb - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Oh my god…as a Cubs fan this is the most excited I’ve been in four years!!!

Although, I do have to hand it to Soriano, I was never a fan ever since he’s come to Chicago. He always seemed to under-produce, couldn’t field a lick, and appeared to loaf all the time. He’s won me over the past couple seasons. He’s shown a real commitment to becoming a better fielder, he’s working incredibly hard, become a leader, and I don’t think we’ve fully realized the injuries he’s played through over the years.

I’d still like to deal him, as his contract is ridiculous, but I’ve really come to respect the guy.

• istillbelieveinblue - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I was about to type the same basic comment before I read yours. He really committed himself to becoming a better outfielder, and all the hard work is showing. He has 0 errors this year, and teams usually don’t run on him because of his strong, accurate arm. He still misjudges balls from time to time, but he’s really come a long way. He’s also a great guy to have in the clubhouse. All his teammates seem to love the guy. I truly believe he’d be an asset for a contending team, especially for an AL club needing a DH that can occasionally play left field. Money shouldn’t be an issue for anyone looking to trade for him, as the Cubs will pick up a sizable percentage of his contract going forward just like they did with Zambrano last off season.

6. hammyofdoom - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

To be fair this guy has had actually a “great” year, slugging percentage over .500 and batting over .270. The guy would probably make a good DH, just good LORD look at that money owed

• lorddarkhelmet - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

yeah, I am guessing the Cubs will need to eat about half of it to get a decent return in trade

• xwarr1orx - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Prolly more than that, he’s been better this year but he was terrible last year and can’t stay healthy. With that being said, I’ve never disliked Fonsi just the contract he was given for that 1 great year he had in Washington. He’s done well though, hitting the other way, not being a total liability in LF and taking young Starlin under his wing. Think thats what scares me the most about trading him, the effect it would have on Castro.

7. mcchef - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This has Giants written all over it….

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Soriano isn’t old enough yet for the Giants. Maybe next year.

8. mojosmagic - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM

No one in their right mind could be interested in him. The article is made up BS.

9. dondada10 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Soriano’s contract is going to make him a viable trade option up until the Aug. 31st trade deadline. Nobody’s going to claim his contract on waivers.

10. Kevin S. - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM

How much money is Theo willing to eat shipping him out of town? If the Ricketts give him the green light to swallow, say, 2/3 of what Soriano’s still owed, that could return a halfway decent prospect. I’d take Soriano on a two-year deal at $6 million/year.

• istillbelieveinblue - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Exactly.

• 18thstreet - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I can’t imagine anyone talking on that contract, but if the Cubs get anything back and save some money, this will be a real coup for Theo and Company. The Cubs are bad this year, and they’re going to be bad next year. Unloading Soriano and eating most of the remaining cost (say, 90 percent of it) is STILL ten percent of a big number, money better spent on the draft. Surely, the Cubs know this.

And if I were a good team with a weak-ish offense and Soriano could bring me to the playoffs this year (regardless of what I’m saddled with next year), I’d actually make that deal.

• bp07 - Jul 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

The Cubs need offense, right? Soriano is producing, right? Whether they keep him or (have the luck to) trade him, they’re gonna pay mucho dinero for him, right? Then why not keep him while he’s producing? If they’re gonna pay for him one way or the other, why dish him to someone who’ll reap the benefits? I say keep him while he’s producing. Confidence is a very good motivator. Showing SORRY-ano (yeah, I’m not a huge fan of the guy) that the front office and coaching staff have confidence in him may be all he needs to produce through the next two seasons. If someone takes on AT LEAST 1/3 of the money owed him, then by all means, trade him to someone (i.e. PHI, SF, LAD, BAL, TOR, or even DET) needing offense for a late-season run. As much as I don’t like the guy, he IS producing. Why eat most (if not all) of his remaining salary and GIVE him to another team while he’s producing and allow that team to reap the rewards of a power-hitting, middle-of-the-order veteran who’s obviously having a late-career hot streak? I say 1/3 salary minimum asking price for Soriano…take it or leave it. The way I see it…if he’s traded, the change of scenery will (as usual) motivate him to produce even more. The odds of that happening increase because of the offensive lineups already present with other teams. If he’s not traded, he’ll want to prove other teams wrong and hopefully grit his teeth and bear down to show them all their mistake. That could afford other opportunities next season to move the veteran. Once again…I’d LOVE to see his monstrosity of a contract disappear, but I’m not on board with simply “giving” him away.

11. ninjasports - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I wouldn’t want to pay Soriano this much if I were a GM

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3292)