Jul 25, 2012, 8:19 PM EDT
Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano is owed $36 million over the next two seasons, but he’s actually been pretty productive this summer and there are almost no power-hitters available on the trade market. So the overpaid 36-year-old is actually drawing interest.
From Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports comes word that “at least one club has inquired” about Soriano in recent weeks. And more could join the fray as next Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline approaches.
Soriano has a .918 OPS and 19 homers in 70 games since May 1. He is batting .274/.324/.503 overall.
Morosi lists the Dodgers, Giants, Indians and Pirates as potential trade partners, but that’s all speculation.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)