A’s torch Blue Jays 16-0 for seventh straight win

Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT

Jemile Weeks, Josh Reddick Reuters

The A’s had a nice little thing going over the weekend in sweeping a four-game series against the Yankees. In all, they entered their series against Toronto having won five straight games by exactly one run.

Needless to say, they weren’t content with such efforts against the Blue Jays.

After beating Toronto 7-2 on Tuesday, the A’s handed the franchise its biggest shutout loss in team history Wednesday, winning 16-0.

The A’s busted out for eight runs in the second inning to knock Ricky Romero from the game. They ended up scoring in every inning except the fourth and seventh.

Included in the outburst was Coco Crisp‘s third career multi-homer game. Every starter scored at least one run, and everyone except Jemile Weeks drove in a run.

The Jays were forced to turn to catcher Jeff Mathis to pitch the ninth. He gave up two runs and three hits, including Derek Norris‘ first career double in his 69th at-bat.

The Jays’ loss eclipsed a 15-0 defeat at the hands of Balitmore in 2006 as the biggest shutout loss in franchise history. Romero gave up eight runs in 1 1/3 innings, the shortest outing of his career. Of the five career outings in which he’s allowed eight or more runs, three have come in the last month.

The A’s scored 16 runs for the first time since beating the Twins 16-1 on July 22, 2009. It was their first shutout win with as many as 16 runs scored since June 26, 2005 against the Giants.

1. jaysfan64 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Ugh – just an ugly game…

• kkolchak - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Not if you are wearing green and gold it wasn’t. :)

2. jon623 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Holy scoreboard, batman!

3. hittfamily - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Should have tried an onsides kick.

4. beefytrout - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Looks like the AL West isn’t a 2 team race anymore, at least for now.

• hcf95688 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM

For now? Oh, I doubt the A’s run away with the division. I’m sure the Rangers and Angels will be able to stay in the race.

• hittfamily - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Which division is better? The AL Beast or the AL Best? 3 elite teams beats 1 elite and 4 marginals at this point. Also, bears eat beats, bears beats battlestar gallactica.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Identity theft is not a joke, hitt!

5. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM

how’s the future looking for the jays these days? oh, the usual i see

6. hcf95688 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

The Swingin’ A’s? More like The Green & Gold Wrecking Crew!

7. randygnyc - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Romero’s line is ugly
    1.1Inn 4H 8ER 6BB 1SO

• cur68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM

That’s Coyote Ugly, Randy. Lost our catcher, too. Billy Beane has a new market inefficiency: playing the Beaver Men.

• borderline1988 - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I hate calling the Jays the beaver men. It sounds so f***ing wrong. I’m Canadian also and I understand the obvious reference, but can we just call them the Jays?

Does anybody else feel that way? Maybe it’s just me and I’m just upset b/c the Jays are so disappointing.

(nothing against you cur68, your comments are very insightful and you obviously know more about baseball than pretty much any other commentator on this site).

• cur68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Sorry to disagree with a fellow Canuck on this, but I always call them The Beav. The Beaver’s a noble beast. Clean, industrious, creative and a good parent. Love them, for they are our National Animal and worthy of our praise. But hey, the world isn’t made up of just me, so feel free to use what ever name you want for them. You’ll notice our blogger in chief pretty much ignores my nickname for them, so its not like I have a leg to stand on from official sources, eh?

As for me being “insightful and you obviously know more about baseball than pretty much any other commentator on this site”. . . shucks, thank you, but I wish. I’m not a stat-head, nor do I know as much history as I’d like; plenty of people around here can out-baseball me. Best I got is knowing how to use the google, and watching a lot Beaver (sorry) Ball. Thanks, though. Know what? I’d rather be known as funny than as a good baseball guy. And with that, you know all about me, because you can substitute any thing for the last half of that sentence. Cheers.
        c68

8. riverace19 - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

A.J. Griffin should also be mentioned as he tossed goose eggs and is now 5 for 5 in quality starts since callup… Control guy who seems perfect for Oakland.

9. randygnyc - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Cur- I saw the his line on MLB app and thought it was a mistake. After looking more closely, I saw he had thrown 66 pitches in an inning and a third. Holy cow.

Anyway, the A’s are pitching out of their minds right now. Its unsustainable. Don’t let it bother you. As far as the Jays injuries, I said it after Lawrie dove into the camera well, I don’t remember a team decimated by injuries like the 2012 Jays. You have my empathy.

• borderline1988 - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I disagree. Other teams have been dealing with injuries as well. And if you want to talk about bad luck…where would the Jays be without the good luck of Encarnacion coming out of no-where to become the best hitter on this roster (sorry Bautista, power numbers are similar, except that Bautista has hit .244 and has like 25 fewer hits over the course of the season).

The Jays have never been able to turn the corner from ‘optimistic future’ to current success. It’s been that way for more than a decade. We can talk about how great Anthopolous is, and how the Jays have a brighter future than ever before. But I feel like I’ve thought that way many times in the last 10 years. Anthopolous has been making good moves, but we’re still likely to finish last in the division, after 3 years of him.

They need to do something different and take a gamble. They don’t have a single .300 hitter, and their 3rd best hitter is at .255. OBP doesn’t look much better.

For all the talk about their pitching…there is really only 2 guys on the roster that are legitimate starters (in Morrow and Romero)..the rest are fillers who are 5th starters at best. Some of them may go through a 4 or 5 start stretch where they’re pitching decently, but you can’t expect consistency over a season or more. And we won’t even talk about the bullpen, which has been terrible.
      And while they do have some great pitching prospects in the minors..most of those guys are in the lower-level leagues, and still have a good 2-3 years before they have a shot at the majors.

This team is vastly overrated. I’d love it if they traded Bautista for a hitter who has an OBP of .400 or better and a middle of the rotation pitcher.

• cur68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Thank Dog you don’t make baseball decisions for The Beav.

• cur68 - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I think total team injuries are relatively common but its how it all happened at once. The starting rotation goes to pieces all in a week. Bones are breaking, guys are collapsing in agony, backs are stiffening, on an on. To cap it off the call ups are terrified of hitting baseballs and Romero is suddenly Barry Zito circa 2011.

10. mydadyourmom - Jul 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM

As a diehard Jays fan, I must say, there’s something going on with these

11. mydadyourmom - Jul 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM