Cal Ripken Jr.’s mother “home safe” after being abducted at gunpoint

Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

violet ripken

UPDATE: Few details about how Violet Ripken went missing were available initially, but now WUSA9-TV in Maryland reports that she was “abducted at gunpoint from her home Tuesday morning.”

Here’s an official statement from the Ripken family:

As you now know, our mother was abducted at gunpoint from her home yesterday morning. This has been a very trying time for our family, but we are grateful and relieved that mom is back with us, safe and healthy. We want to thank everyone for their tremendous support, especially all of the law enforcement agencies that worked so hard and quickly. This is on ongoing investigation, so we hope everyone understands that we cannot comment further at this time. Thank you.

UPDATE #2: Police have revealed further details about the abduction, via the Associated Press:

Vi Ripken was kidnapped between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. Tuesday by a man who forced her into her car, according to Aberdeen police. She was found about 6:15 a.m. Wednesday unharmed in her car near her home in Aberdeen, some 25 miles from Baltimore. … Vi Ripken described her abductor as a tall, thin white man with glasses, but police spokesman Lt. Fred Budnick had no other details.

According to an FBI spokesperson it’s unclear if the abductor knew Ripken’s identity.

==========

Violet Ripken, the 74-year-old mother of Cal Ripken Jr. and Billy Ripken, has been found after being reported missing to Baltimore police.

According to the Baltimore Sun the Ripken family contacted police last night and asked for the public’s help in the search, but she was found this morning and “is home safe.”

You can check the newspaper’s website for further details.

1. cur68 - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Holy crap. I had no idea. Glad she’s ok. That kind of thing shouldn’t happen to anyone, much less a 74 year old. I hope Wilson Ramos gives her a call to offer his support.

• skids003 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I agree cur. These people are some of the finest there is to offer, I am glad she is OK. I hope they burn the guy who did this.

2. daviddmsvcp - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I completely agree. 74 year old women should NOT be kidnapped.

• cleverbob - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

What’s the age cutoff where acceptable becomes unacceptable?

3. mydadyourmom - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

she had it comin.

• cur68 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM

What is with this story that attracts douches? One guy already had his comments deleted. You’re probably the same idiot with a different handle, but what’s up with you idiots any way? An old person being traumatized is funny? You enjoy being the subject of ridicule for douchiness? GFY moron.

• sabatimus - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I wish this site had a system of reporting users for crap like that. That’s all I’ll say, because I’m trying to get better at not feeding the trolls.

• mydadyourmom - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM

dude, relax. i’m obviosuly kidding.

4. sabatimus - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

What the hell? I wonder if the reason she’s back so quick is because the kidnapper found out whose family she belonged to. On the other hand, this happens to high-profile people in Venezula rather frequently, in order to extort large sums of money from the family. So, just, what the hell?

5. hcf95688 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Where are we? Columbia?

• Gobias Industries - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

The good folks of Columbia, South Carolina are very angry at you right now. The bad folks of Colombia, South America are laughing at your poor spelling right now.

• realgone2 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM

HAHA! Good one Gobias.

• dowhatifeellike - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I think he was referring to Columbia, MD, which is on the opposite side of Baltimore from Aberdeen.

• nofunleague - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Due to our immigration policy or the effort not to enforce the policy Colombia is coming to us. It will only get worse until we build a wall or start sending them back where they belong. Only commenting on the previous poster and not inferring this person was an immigrant.

6. daviddmsvcp - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Folks, we need to ignore the trolls. This discussion group is for noble sports fan. We embody the best American ideals: fairness, equality, and a sense of humor.

There’s no place in this discussion group for bias or disrespect. Cal Ripken is one of the Greats and a misfortune like this involving someone in his family should make us all feel like victims. We need to show empathy, at least, and possibly even sympathy.

My prayers go out to the Ripken family and I hope whoever visited this heinous crime on Cal’s mom will be apprehended and brought to trial. May God bless!

7. randygnyc - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Anyone think a ransom was paid or did these scumbags realize they were in over her their heads and just give her up? I’m inclined to think they got scared and changed their mind. (I’d also bet the kidnappers knew Violet personally; ie. handyman or delivery person etc.)

• mybrunoblog - Jul 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The entire episode sound strange. Yes, a ransom may have been paid. I even wondered if Mrs. Ripken has a form of dementia or senility and the story is some type of fabrication or an exaggeration.
      The Ripken family is all class in my book. I’m happy she is ok and the family deserves their privacy.

8. realgone2 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Glad she is OK. Living in Augusta, GA I’ve met Cal quite a few time. He owns the minor league team here. He is a really nice guy.

9. rob0527 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

What a messed up world we live in, where someone takes a 74yr old lady? That person will get there’s, glad to see they didn’t physically harm her.

10. stayhigh_247 - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I know parents can be stubborn but Cal, its time to move mom to a gated community. Thats just nuts, this could have ended terrible thankfully it didnt.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3740)