Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Few details about how Violet Ripken went missing were available initially, but now WUSA9-TV in Maryland reports that she was “abducted at gunpoint from her home Tuesday morning.”
Here’s an official statement from the Ripken family:
As you now know, our mother was abducted at gunpoint from her home yesterday morning. This has been a very trying time for our family, but we are grateful and relieved that mom is back with us, safe and healthy. We want to thank everyone for their tremendous support, especially all of the law enforcement agencies that worked so hard and quickly. This is on ongoing investigation, so we hope everyone understands that we cannot comment further at this time. Thank you.
UPDATE #2: Police have revealed further details about the abduction, via the Associated Press:
Vi Ripken was kidnapped between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. Tuesday by a man who forced her into her car, according to Aberdeen police. She was found about 6:15 a.m. Wednesday unharmed in her car near her home in Aberdeen, some 25 miles from Baltimore. … Vi Ripken described her abductor as a tall, thin white man with glasses, but police spokesman Lt. Fred Budnick had no other details.
According to an FBI spokesperson it’s unclear if the abductor knew Ripken’s identity.
Violet Ripken, the 74-year-old mother of Cal Ripken Jr. and Billy Ripken, has been found after being reported missing to Baltimore police.
According to the Baltimore Sun the Ripken family contacted police last night and asked for the public’s help in the search, but she was found this morning and “is home safe.”
You can check the newspaper’s website for further details.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 16
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 100
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (100)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)