Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Few details about how Violet Ripken went missing were available initially, but now WUSA9-TV in Maryland reports that she was “abducted at gunpoint from her home Tuesday morning.”
Here’s an official statement from the Ripken family:
As you now know, our mother was abducted at gunpoint from her home yesterday morning. This has been a very trying time for our family, but we are grateful and relieved that mom is back with us, safe and healthy. We want to thank everyone for their tremendous support, especially all of the law enforcement agencies that worked so hard and quickly. This is on ongoing investigation, so we hope everyone understands that we cannot comment further at this time. Thank you.
UPDATE #2: Police have revealed further details about the abduction, via the Associated Press:
Vi Ripken was kidnapped between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. Tuesday by a man who forced her into her car, according to Aberdeen police. She was found about 6:15 a.m. Wednesday unharmed in her car near her home in Aberdeen, some 25 miles from Baltimore. … Vi Ripken described her abductor as a tall, thin white man with glasses, but police spokesman Lt. Fred Budnick had no other details.
According to an FBI spokesperson it’s unclear if the abductor knew Ripken’s identity.
Violet Ripken, the 74-year-old mother of Cal Ripken Jr. and Billy Ripken, has been found after being reported missing to Baltimore police.
According to the Baltimore Sun the Ripken family contacted police last night and asked for the public’s help in the search, but she was found this morning and “is home safe.”
You can check the newspaper’s website for further details.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)