Jul 25, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
David Ortiz‘s recovery from an Achilles’ tendon injury is going well enough that the Red Sox designated hitter is out of his protective walking boot and told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he hopes to begin swinging a bat as soon as this weekend.
Before then Ortiz will be reevaluated by team doctors Friday, which will determine his rehab timetable.
Ortiz has been out since July 16, but no tear or rupture was discovered in his Achilles’ tendon and it sounds like there’s some chance he could come off the disabled list when eligible next week.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)