Jul 25, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Ackley is 0-for-21 in his last five games and 1-for-30 in his last seven. For the month, he’s hitting .135 in 74 at-bats. His overall average is down to .220. A demotion is most definitely warranted.
If the Mariners had someone worth replacing him with, there’s a good chance it already would have happened. Maybe they do, though. Longtime prospect Carlos Triunfel is showing signs of life while hitting .288/.329/.493 with three homers and 16 RBI in 73 at-bats for Triple-A Tacoma this month. He’s still playing shortstop most of the time, but he has started 10 games at second base this season. He doesn’t figure to be a long-term option at shortstop anyway, so taking him off the position to give him a look in the majors wouldn’t hurt.
Of course, it’s not all that likely that Triunfel is ready to succeed in the majors. Nick Franklin probably isn’t either. The more highly regarded prospect of the two, he’s batted .252/.326/.425 while splitting time evenly at second base and shortstop in 30 games since his promotion to Triple-A. It’s unlikely the Mariners would risk promoting him given that they’d have a lot more to lose by rushing him and wrecking his confidence.
But Ackley needs to go, even if it’s just for three weeks. Being a bad player on a bad team can’t be doing him much good.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)