Jul 25, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Ackley is 0-for-21 in his last five games and 1-for-30 in his last seven. For the month, he’s hitting .135 in 74 at-bats. His overall average is down to .220. A demotion is most definitely warranted.
If the Mariners had someone worth replacing him with, there’s a good chance it already would have happened. Maybe they do, though. Longtime prospect Carlos Triunfel is showing signs of life while hitting .288/.329/.493 with three homers and 16 RBI in 73 at-bats for Triple-A Tacoma this month. He’s still playing shortstop most of the time, but he has started 10 games at second base this season. He doesn’t figure to be a long-term option at shortstop anyway, so taking him off the position to give him a look in the majors wouldn’t hurt.
Of course, it’s not all that likely that Triunfel is ready to succeed in the majors. Nick Franklin probably isn’t either. The more highly regarded prospect of the two, he’s batted .252/.326/.425 while splitting time evenly at second base and shortstop in 30 games since his promotion to Triple-A. It’s unlikely the Mariners would risk promoting him given that they’d have a lot more to lose by rushing him and wrecking his confidence.
But Ackley needs to go, even if it’s just for three weeks. Being a bad player on a bad team can’t be doing him much good.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 19
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)