Jul 25, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
With two apiece from Jose Reyes and Donovan Solano (Hanley Ramirez‘s replacement at third base), the Marlins became the first team this year to swipe seven bases in a game. They were 7-for-8 in steal attempts, all while Hanson was in the game. And catcher Brian McCann had nothing to do with the lone caught stealing, as Reyes was caught taking off from second base by Hanson in the third.
It was the first time the Marlins had swiped seven bases in a game since May 27, 2002. Three of the four teams to do it since 2010 have actually gone on to lose the game.
Hanson walked seven batters in his five innings, making him the first pitcher to walk seven in a win since the Angels’ Ervin Santana did it last Sept. 1. He also struck out seven. He gave up three hits, all of them doubles, but only Justin Ruggiano‘s in the third inning did any damage.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)