Jul 25, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Prior to the injury Surkamp was in the mix to potentially supplant Barry Zito as the Giants’ fifth starter, but instead he hasn’t thrown a pitch and Zito has had a solid year with a 3.75 ERA in 113 innings.
Surkamp posted excellent numbers in the minors last season, leading the Double-A Eastern League in both ERA and strikeouts, but the 2008 sixth-round pick struggled in a half-dozen starts for the Giants down the stretch.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)