Jul 25, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Prior to the injury Surkamp was in the mix to potentially supplant Barry Zito as the Giants’ fifth starter, but instead he hasn’t thrown a pitch and Zito has had a solid year with a 3.75 ERA in 113 innings.
Surkamp posted excellent numbers in the minors last season, leading the Double-A Eastern League in both ERA and strikeouts, but the 2008 sixth-round pick struggled in a half-dozen starts for the Giants down the stretch.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)