Jul 25, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Prior to the injury Surkamp was in the mix to potentially supplant Barry Zito as the Giants’ fifth starter, but instead he hasn’t thrown a pitch and Zito has had a solid year with a 3.75 ERA in 113 innings.
Surkamp posted excellent numbers in the minors last season, leading the Double-A Eastern League in both ERA and strikeouts, but the 2008 sixth-round pick struggled in a half-dozen starts for the Giants down the stretch.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)