Giants still mulling Pablo Sandoval’s DL status

Jul 25, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT

Pablo Sandoval Getty Getty Images

Pablo Sandoval sustained a strained left hamstring while stretching for a ball at first base last night, but the Giants are gonna wait and see if it warrants a trip to the DL:

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Sandoval would get aggressive treatment on Wednesday and again when the team has a scheduled day off on Thursday. He indicated that if trainers believe Sandoval will be out a week or less, the club could play short so they can have his services available to them again as soon as possible.

“Aggressive treatment” is an awesome phrase. All kinds of mental images there.  But I suppose that’s not important right now. Getting Sandoval’s bat — one of the only day-in-day-out threats in the Giants lineup is key here.

1. forthand26 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I didn’t know you could be placed on the DL for obesity.

• sabatimus - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Gee, that’s original.

• weedman8693 - Jul 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Lol let him keep playing, hes going down, down to the ground

2. rcali - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

He’s not fat and out of shape, he’s big boned and out of shape.

3. zacksdad - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Do not let him go back to Santa Cruz, my nieces lives there and I want them to be safe.

• willsolo - Jul 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You want me to head over there and watch them for you? I’m sure we will have a blast, or at least I will.

4. icanspeel - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM

When he did the splits stretching for the ball I was impressed for a second thinking he could do that naturally.. until he got up limping.

5. joelgold - Jul 25, 2012 at 4:34 PM

That was a hell of a play all the way around. Too bad Panda got injured, and hope he is back soon. I do think referring to him as “one of the only day-in-day-out threats in the Giants lineup” may be a little much, as Melky and Buster seem to be doing pretty well day in and day out.

6. temporarilyexiled - Jul 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Let’s solve the problem of fat jokes and other banalities with appropriate blog offshoots:

Panda, Prince, C.C. and the like: Lardball Talk