Jul 25, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch comes this:
Cardinals lefty Jaime Garcia faced hitters Tuesday in Jupiter, Fla., and he could one more workout away from a rehab assignment.
That final workout will happen Friday afternoon and will involve Garcia throwing around 45 pitches. If all goes smoothly, he should make his first rehab start late next week at one of the Cardinals’ Low-A affiliates in south Florida.
Garcia has been sidelined since early June because of a left shoulder strain. The 26-year-old native of Reynosa, Mexico had a pedestrian 4.48 ERA, 1.46 WHIP and 51/19 K/BB ratio in 66 1/3 innings before landing on the disabled list. He owns a cool 3.45 career ERA and 1.34 career WHIP.
Assuming no setbacks, Garcia will be back in the St. Louis starting rotation by mid-August.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)