Jul 25, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
After the Angels’ Jered Weaver twice drilled Lorenzo Cain earlier in the game, the Royals apparently opted for a little retaliation Wednesday, with Luke Hochevar plunking Mike Trout on a 3-0 pitch in the bottom of the fourth inning.
Hochevar, who had already given up eight runs and was just about done for the day regardless, was immediately tossed by Bob Davidson after hitting Trout in the arm. Trout remained in the contest afterwards.
It was kind of an odd way for Hochevar to go about it if he did intend to hit Trout. He missed with two inside — but not all that much inside — fastballs earlier in the at-bat, and he then threw a slider low and away for ball three. The fourth pitch was a fastball sent right in the direction of Trout’s hip and would have hit him there if he hadn’t lowered his arm and took it there instead.
A five- or six-game suspension for Hochevar could be a possibility, though in general, it’s the intentional plunkings in higher-profile games that tend to draw the penalties. In giving up eight runs — six earned — in three-plus innings, Hochevar saw his ERA climb to 5.26 today. Weaver was removed after allowing two runs in five innings.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)