Jul 25, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
After the Angels’ Jered Weaver twice drilled Lorenzo Cain earlier in the game, the Royals apparently opted for a little retaliation Wednesday, with Luke Hochevar plunking Mike Trout on a 3-0 pitch in the bottom of the fourth inning.
Hochevar, who had already given up eight runs and was just about done for the day regardless, was immediately tossed by Bob Davidson after hitting Trout in the arm. Trout remained in the contest afterwards.
It was kind of an odd way for Hochevar to go about it if he did intend to hit Trout. He missed with two inside — but not all that much inside — fastballs earlier in the at-bat, and he then threw a slider low and away for ball three. The fourth pitch was a fastball sent right in the direction of Trout’s hip and would have hit him there if he hadn’t lowered his arm and took it there instead.
A five- or six-game suspension for Hochevar could be a possibility, though in general, it’s the intentional plunkings in higher-profile games that tend to draw the penalties. In giving up eight runs — six earned — in three-plus innings, Hochevar saw his ERA climb to 5.26 today. Weaver was removed after allowing two runs in five innings.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)