Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
This is a rather fun tweet:
In the upper offices of other clubs–where they worry about big-picture health of baseball–there is some concern about the Marlins’ moves.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Not sure I get it. Why would other owners be concerned? They certainly can’t be surprised. This is the guy who helped kill off the Expos and then has unloaded salary like it’s toxic waste at nearly every opportunity. He hoodwinked local government into giving him a ballpark on the promise of largess and now he’s slashing the payroll. He’s Jeff Loria: the same dude he’s always been.
Indeed, if you asked most owners over the past 40 years of baseball history, they would have told you that such behavior ensures the big picture health of baseball, not that it hinders it. They’re full of it, of course, but they sure as hell can’t expect us to believe that they give a rat’s patootie about this, can they?
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)