Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
This is a rather fun tweet:
In the upper offices of other clubs–where they worry about big-picture health of baseball–there is some concern about the Marlins’ moves.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Not sure I get it. Why would other owners be concerned? They certainly can’t be surprised. This is the guy who helped kill off the Expos and then has unloaded salary like it’s toxic waste at nearly every opportunity. He hoodwinked local government into giving him a ballpark on the promise of largess and now he’s slashing the payroll. He’s Jeff Loria: the same dude he’s always been.
Indeed, if you asked most owners over the past 40 years of baseball history, they would have told you that such behavior ensures the big picture health of baseball, not that it hinders it. They’re full of it, of course, but they sure as hell can’t expect us to believe that they give a rat’s patootie about this, can they?
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)