Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
This is a rather fun tweet:
In the upper offices of other clubs–where they worry about big-picture health of baseball–there is some concern about the Marlins’ moves.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Not sure I get it. Why would other owners be concerned? They certainly can’t be surprised. This is the guy who helped kill off the Expos and then has unloaded salary like it’s toxic waste at nearly every opportunity. He hoodwinked local government into giving him a ballpark on the promise of largess and now he’s slashing the payroll. He’s Jeff Loria: the same dude he’s always been.
Indeed, if you asked most owners over the past 40 years of baseball history, they would have told you that such behavior ensures the big picture health of baseball, not that it hinders it. They’re full of it, of course, but they sure as hell can’t expect us to believe that they give a rat’s patootie about this, can they?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 24
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 53
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 133
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (133)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)