Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
This is a rather fun tweet:
In the upper offices of other clubs–where they worry about big-picture health of baseball–there is some concern about the Marlins’ moves.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Not sure I get it. Why would other owners be concerned? They certainly can’t be surprised. This is the guy who helped kill off the Expos and then has unloaded salary like it’s toxic waste at nearly every opportunity. He hoodwinked local government into giving him a ballpark on the promise of largess and now he’s slashing the payroll. He’s Jeff Loria: the same dude he’s always been.
Indeed, if you asked most owners over the past 40 years of baseball history, they would have told you that such behavior ensures the big picture health of baseball, not that it hinders it. They’re full of it, of course, but they sure as hell can’t expect us to believe that they give a rat’s patootie about this, can they?
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29