Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
This is a rather fun tweet:
In the upper offices of other clubs–where they worry about big-picture health of baseball–there is some concern about the Marlins’ moves.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2012
Not sure I get it. Why would other owners be concerned? They certainly can’t be surprised. This is the guy who helped kill off the Expos and then has unloaded salary like it’s toxic waste at nearly every opportunity. He hoodwinked local government into giving him a ballpark on the promise of largess and now he’s slashing the payroll. He’s Jeff Loria: the same dude he’s always been.
Indeed, if you asked most owners over the past 40 years of baseball history, they would have told you that such behavior ensures the big picture health of baseball, not that it hinders it. They’re full of it, of course, but they sure as hell can’t expect us to believe that they give a rat’s patootie about this, can they?
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)