Ozzie Guillen: Gimme a bad attitude and good numbers

Jul 25, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen AP

Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen had a problem with Hanley Ramirez alright, but it had nothing to do with the former Rookie of the Year’s attitude or demeanor. The Sun-Sentinel’s Juan C. Rodriguez has the quote:

Hanley Ramirez had a great attitude with bad performance for me. From Day 1 when we talked to today he was great with me. What he was in the past? That’s their problems. I’m not saying this because he just got traded. I wish he had a bad attitude and produced. I would take that.

If Ramirez was a clubhouse cancer, as some have claimed, Guillen surely would have gone ahead and fired with both barrels here. He’s not one to hold back. Many expected Ramirez would sulk after being switched from shortstop to third base to make room for Jose Reyes, but he didn’t, at least not outwardly. Whether some disappointment or frustration took a toll on his performance is anyone’s guess. Guillen would have put up for some surliness in return for an extra 30 points of average and a dozen more runs batted in.

1. bigdogpappad - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Are you kidding me, the Marlins problem is right there in the photo. Get rid of the bum and turn the attitude, mental approach, perfromance and results around before you have only 4,000 showing up for games.

2. charlescub80 - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Again, why is the media still asking this knucklehead questions? You know he is going to eventually say something to upset his own fan base again. Why egg him on?

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I would say those are, in fact, pretty damning comments from a guy who should really just STFU about a player who is not on his team anymore. Did he go to Bobby Valentine School of PR and Clubhouse Harmony?

4. siftin thru nonsense - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Han Ram definitely isnt producing like he used to. Hitting under .250 and not putting up numbers like he used to. MLB players should be paid post performance. Once they sign their big contracts, they get paid regardless of what they do. There is something wrong with that. Han Ram needs to get it together.

5. Brian Donohue - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Case in point: his first AB as a Dodger. Hits a towering fly to deep left center, trots all the way to 1b. CF misplays the ball, hits off wall and rolls halfway to the infield. Ramirez has to stop at 3rd. This time the batter behind him picked him up, but it should have been an inside the park HR. If he’d been running out of the box, that is.

Somebody — if not Mattingly, then a team leader like Kemp or Ethier, will have to get right in this kid’s face when reporters aren’t around and tell him in no uncertain terms: we don’t play like that.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM

On point Brian. That kind of thing drives me nuts. Fundamentals. Makes me wonder who was teaching some of these guys the game when they first starting playing at the ages of 4, 5 & 6.
      The dude would have been brow beaten, ridiculed and potentially sat down on my competitive Softball team. Yet…he’s allowed to continue this B.S. in the Majors (while making millions do to so). Boggles the mind.

6. siftin thru nonsense - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I will take that though. We have a triples category in the fantasy baseball league I am in. Triples are precious!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3185)