Jul 25, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
The Pirates tried to hold off as long as they could, but they will finally promote their top position prospect, Starling Marte, to the majors for Thursday’s game, Piratesprospects.com’s Kristy Robinson reports.
Marte’s arrival has been anticipated ever since the disappointing Jose Tabata was sent down. After a brilliant spring, Marte struggled in Triple-A early on, hitting .256 with four homers in 176 at-bats through the end of May. However, he’s been much better of late, batting .313 with eight homers in 208 at-bats since the beginning of June.
The 23-year-old Marte is still something of a raw talent; his lack of strike zone judgment is a problem and his speed hasn’t made him a very good basestealer. Defensively, he often shows outstanding ability in center field, but he also takes bad routes on occasion. The Pirates will likely use him in left field most of the time for now.
The pluses are obvious: Marte makes a lot of hard contact and can turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples with his speed. He could give the Pirates offense quite a lift if he can manage to lay off quality major league breaking balls. It’s definitely time the team gives him a try.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car