Jul 25, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
The Pirates tried to hold off as long as they could, but they will finally promote their top position prospect, Starling Marte, to the majors for Thursday’s game, Piratesprospects.com’s Kristy Robinson reports.
Marte’s arrival has been anticipated ever since the disappointing Jose Tabata was sent down. After a brilliant spring, Marte struggled in Triple-A early on, hitting .256 with four homers in 176 at-bats through the end of May. However, he’s been much better of late, batting .313 with eight homers in 208 at-bats since the beginning of June.
The 23-year-old Marte is still something of a raw talent; his lack of strike zone judgment is a problem and his speed hasn’t made him a very good basestealer. Defensively, he often shows outstanding ability in center field, but he also takes bad routes on occasion. The Pirates will likely use him in left field most of the time for now.
The pluses are obvious: Marte makes a lot of hard contact and can turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples with his speed. He could give the Pirates offense quite a lift if he can manage to lay off quality major league breaking balls. It’s definitely time the team gives him a try.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)