Jul 25, 2012, 2:49 PM EDT
It was arthroscopic, rather than the more serious Tommy John variety, but Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago reports that Wells is all but certain to miss the remainder of the season.
Wells cleared waivers last month after being designated for assignment, as no team was willing to take on his $2.7 million contract, but if healthy the 29-year-old with a 4.08 ERA in 529 career innings would have been an option to rejoin the new-look rotation following the trade deadline.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 13
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 34
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)