Jul 25, 2012, 2:49 PM EST
It was arthroscopic, rather than the more serious Tommy John variety, but Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago reports that Wells is all but certain to miss the remainder of the season.
Wells cleared waivers last month after being designated for assignment, as no team was willing to take on his $2.7 million contract, but if healthy the 29-year-old with a 4.08 ERA in 529 career innings would have been an option to rejoin the new-look rotation following the trade deadline.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40