Jul 25, 2012, 2:49 PM EDT
It was arthroscopic, rather than the more serious Tommy John variety, but Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago reports that Wells is all but certain to miss the remainder of the season.
Wells cleared waivers last month after being designated for assignment, as no team was willing to take on his $2.7 million contract, but if healthy the 29-year-old with a 4.08 ERA in 529 career innings would have been an option to rejoin the new-look rotation following the trade deadline.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)