Jul 25, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Various reports have the Phillies shopping impending free agent Shane Victorino and according to Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer the Reds turned down a deal for the 31-year-old center fielder in exchange for reliever Logan Ondrusek.
Ondrusek is a 26-year-old right-hander whose 2.70 ERA this season and 3.27 career mark are both great-looking, but his 105/67 K/BB ratio in 157 innings is considerably less impressive. This year he has 25 strikeouts compared to 19 walks in 37 innings, so the 2.70 ERA comes via plenty of smoke and mirrors.
All of which means that, if Daugherty’s report is accurate, the Phillies aren’t asking a whole lot for Victorino and the Reds aren’t exactly desperate to bring him in as a leadoff/center field replacement for Drew Stubbs.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 14
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 18
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 21
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 32
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (97)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)