Jul 25, 2012, 12:06 AM EDT
With the Dodgers’ top pitching prospect, Zach Lee, apparently off the table, the Cubs are currently asking for Allen Webster as the primary piece from L.A. in a Ryan Dempster deal, FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi reports.
The 22-year-old Webster is 4-8 with a 4.06 ERA and an 85/35 K/BB ratio in 88 2/3 innings for Double-A Chattanooga. Known as a groundball pitcher with his low-90s sinker, he’s given up just one homer all year. Baseball America rated him the team’s No. 2 prospect behind Lee at the beginning of the season.
It wouldn’t be so bad if the Cubs had to settle for Webster instead of getting Randall Delgado from the Braves. While Delgado has better feel for his secondary pitches than Webster does, I still don’t see him getting enough swings and misses to turn into a quality No. 2 or No. 3 starter in the majors. Webster has more upside with his sinker, and if the right coaching allows him to improve either his slider or curve, he could prove to be a big-time pitcher.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 0
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 17
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (121)