Jul 25, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Giambi was placed on the shelf with a viral infection and the 41-year-old told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he’s been feeling sick for the past three weeks.
His last start was July 1, but Giambi was relieved that “they found something” via blood tests because he was worried “it was just Father Time catching up with me.”
Whatever chance the Rockies had of trading Giambi before July 31 is now gone, although his potential value as a bench bat was pretty minimal anyway.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 8
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 55
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 69
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)