Jul 25, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg made easy work of the Mets lineup on Wednesday, racking up 11 strikeouts while throwing just 94 pitches in seven innings, and the Nationals won 5-2 to complete a three-game sweep in New York.
It was the second straight series in which the Mets have been swept. They’re 1-11 since the All-Star break and now 47-51 for the season.
The brutal stretch leaves little doubt the Mets will sell, rather than buy, at the trade deadline. But the most likely scenario is that they won’t make much noise at all. David Wright, who is under control for 2013, is staying put, and the Mets figure to work hard to sign him to an extension in the offseason. R.A. Dickey is likewise off limits, and with Johan Santana and Dillon Gee on the DL, the Mets no longer have any real pitching depth to use in trades.
So, if the Mets do shed pieces, they figure to be small. If some team wants to give up a prospect for injury-prone starter Chris Young, let them. If anyone is interested in taking on the salaries of disappointing relievers Jon Rauch and Ramon Ramirez, they can go. Tim Byrdak can retire lefties. Outfielders Scott Hairston and Andres Torres make for decent role players. That’s really about it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)