Jul 25, 2012, 3:48 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg made easy work of the Mets lineup on Wednesday, racking up 11 strikeouts while throwing just 94 pitches in seven innings, and the Nationals won 5-2 to complete a three-game sweep in New York.
It was the second straight series in which the Mets have been swept. They’re 1-11 since the All-Star break and now 47-51 for the season.
The brutal stretch leaves little doubt the Mets will sell, rather than buy, at the trade deadline. But the most likely scenario is that they won’t make much noise at all. David Wright, who is under control for 2013, is staying put, and the Mets figure to work hard to sign him to an extension in the offseason. R.A. Dickey is likewise off limits, and with Johan Santana and Dillon Gee on the DL, the Mets no longer have any real pitching depth to use in trades.
So, if the Mets do shed pieces, they figure to be small. If some team wants to give up a prospect for injury-prone starter Chris Young, let them. If anyone is interested in taking on the salaries of disappointing relievers Jon Rauch and Ramon Ramirez, they can go. Tim Byrdak can retire lefties. Outfielders Scott Hairston and Andres Torres make for decent role players. That’s really about it.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)