The Dodgers and Phillies may not be done yet

Jul 25, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

The Phillies signed Cole Hamels. The Dodgers traded for Hanley Ramirez and may still yet snag Ryan Dempster.  But Ken Rosenthal says that they may hook up for some more deadline dealing:

That would be some major moving by the Dodgers. Victorino would almost certainly be a rental. And one which — given the fact that he shares a position with Matt Kemp — would be somewhat awkward to fit in. I guess he’d be a plus corner defender.  Pence, the natural corner guy, has more offensive upside but he’s under team control — arbitration eligible for 2013 — and may cost more, both now and later if they wish to keep him.

1. number42is1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Maybe a deal for Pence and Lee instead of Dempster?

• dodger88 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM

As much as I’d like to dream, there is no way the Dodgers have enough prospects to pull something like that and the Phillies are not in the need to dump salaries despite commentary to the contrary.

All things being equal, I’ll take Pence over Victorino but I suspect if a deal happens it will be the latter as someone should be able to offer better prospects to grab Pence.

2. jtchernak - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Take pence he sucks

3. SmackSaw - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I hope they get Victorino. They could use the energy and he’d be a short flight from Hawaii. Him and Dempster would be a great pickup.

4. chadjones27 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Would Dodger fans have to get rid of their “Cryin” Hawaiian t-shirts?

• dannymac17 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Nope. I hate victorino with all my heart.

i would buy tickets anywhere he would play in the field and boo him.

• psuravens19 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Why? He seems like a good guy to me…

• xmatt0926x - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

dannymac, please tell me you hate Victorino for more than just that silly “incident” where he was upset with Kuroda for throwing up near his head. It’s funny how opposing fans will take the smallest moment possible and turn it into some kind of rallying cry against a player.

• chadjones27 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

That seems like an awful lot of hatred for one player. I can’t see hating someone that much unless, you know, he did something to you personally.

5. chap6869 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

As I stated to some people earlier,there are moves to be made for the Phillies and the Phillies will get something for them, contrary to some peoples doom and gloom scenarios. Lee and Pence are still valuable trade chips that will get back prospects, even if the Phillies have to chip in some of Lees salary to get it!

• myopinionisgarbage - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I think they have a better chance of landing Carlos Lee than Cliff Lee. Don’t the dodgers need help at first, offensively? Miami looks like they’re shopping him too. They’re going to make the Dempster deal happen. Philly just locked up Hamels to a big deal. Papplesmear to a big deal going into this season. Lee the year before that. I don’t think they like trading AWAY their arms. They like to sign and keep and build around their pitching staff.

• chap6869 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I was actually referring to some earlier post when I mentioned Lee, Texas has shown some interest in reacquiring him. According to multiple news sources, the Phillies could possibly have up on the block Lee, Pence, Victorino, Polanco and Blanton. Maybe not all go but I could see several moves before the deadline, including a deal with the Dodgers.

• chadjones27 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

If the Phils upper management have given up on the season, wouldn’t it make more sense for the Phils to trade Juan Piere? Of those mentioned (non-pitchers), he’s the only one that seems to get on base regularly. Yes, the did sign Hamels to a long deal, but that doesn’t mean they still have hope. That was just to keep a bidding war in the off season.

6. dwrek5 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I wish their was a poll function, very curious which Dodger fans prefer.

• lanflfan - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM

As a Dodger fan, here are my informal poll votes:

NO to Victorino, Pence, Howard, Blanton, Pierre (already dumped him once) and Polanco.

MAYBE to Cliff Lee, depending on the price, but extremely doubtful given the haul Philly will want even if LA took his entire salary off the Philly books. You made the deals, you eat the crow (like LA is STILL doing with Manny, etc).

7. whatthehellisansky - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Phils should be looking to dump Howard’s contract on the Dodgers..

• lanflfan - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM

No thanks, LA already have an albatross. At least yours is still playing and providing any kind of value.

8. weedman8693 - Jul 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Trade dee gordon, he sucks

9. santabarbarapartyzone - Jul 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Of all the trade rumors that have the Dodgers also linked to Ryan Dempster and Hunter Pence, Shane Victorino makes the most sense. LA would mortgage thier future for Dempster (a journeyman not worth the money he will command in offseason) and Pence (requiring a package of top phenoms)…Victorino is available for trade w/o stripping our currently thin core of starting MLB prospects…Shane is a perfect fit at the top of the order where the Dodgers are clearly underachieving…He provides speed, good glove and bat, and a championship mentality to the clubhouse that would benefit the newest star in SoCal, Hanley Ramirez.

Three legends off to Cooperstown