Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
Anyway, to make it all official-like — and to show you guys that the official Phillies Twitter has not blocked me — we note:
Hamels has signed a 6 year, $144 million extension (thru 2018) that includes club/vesting option for 2019 and limited no trade clause.
— Phillies (@philaphillies) July 25, 2012
Ken Rosenthal says that the Phillies standard limited no-trade clause is a 21-team no-trade list in which players pick eight teams where they can go without restriction. I guess it’s semantics, but it’s more of a “trade me here” clause than a “no trade clause.”
Also: the vesting option allows for the Phillies to bring Hamels back at a reduced salary for that seventh year if the benchmarks aren’t met. Of course, depending on what those benchmarks are, if they’re not met, it’s likely a situation in which the team doesn’t require his services any longer to begin with.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)