The Phillies officially announce the details of the Hamels deal

Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Deep thoughts: Cole Hamels will be in his age 34 season when his giant deal ends. Ryan Howard is in his age 32 season as his giant deal starts. See: our Ruben is learning!

Anyway, to make it all official-like — and to show you guys that the official Phillies Twitter has not blocked me — we note:

Ken Rosenthal says that the Phillies standard limited no-trade clause is a 21-team no-trade list in which players pick eight teams where they can go without restriction. I guess it’s semantics, but it’s more of a “trade me here” clause than a “no trade clause.”

Also: the vesting option allows for the Phillies to bring Hamels back at a reduced salary for that seventh year if the benchmarks aren’t met. Of course, depending on what those benchmarks are, if they’re not met, it’s likely a situation in which the team doesn’t require his services any longer to begin with.

1. number42is1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

so three pitchers with over $20MM a year… and its not like this makes them a better team.. it keeps them as a team that is currently 14 games out of first and 10 games out of the WC.

• El Bravo - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM

…losing Cole certainly wouldn’t change their record for the better.

• number42is1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM

true…. but it didnt help them either. I’m thinking that Lee will be traded BUT I also remember reading that when he signed with the Phils he made them put in a no trade clause cause he was tired of being traded so much.

• gammagammahey - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Cliff Lee has the same 21 team no-trade clause in his contract that Hamels got.

• bleedgreen - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Actually, Hamels DID help them better their record. He’s 11-4 in 19 games. Even if they lost 3 out of the 5 games he wasn’t the pitcher of record in, thats 13 games he pitched in that they won. None of their other pitchers are even CLOSE to that.

• number42is1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM

ACTUALLY they are in dead last… his “addition” did not make them any last placeier… (patent pending). I’m simply saying that locking him up for the next 7 yrs is not going to make them a better team. its going to keep them the same as they are right now.

• chap6869 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM

number42is1, I stated this in an earlier post but it’s worth repeating. I could see Lee being traded by the deadline to a contending team( Texas is showing interest) and as far as Halladay, he needed to reach a certain number of innings this year and next to guarantee 2014, which isn’t going to happen now. There will be alot of money coming off the books by 2014 and the Phillies will have ALOT to spend at that time.

• uyf1950 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Chaps, your comment about Halladay is NOT accurate. The 2nd part of Halladay’s vesting option only requires him to pitch 225 innings in 2013 for the 2014 year to vest. And considering he’s pitched more then 225 in every year 2007 through 2011 it very possible that that option will vest.

• chap6869 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

uyf1950,
        You are right, to a degree, there are two parts of that option so we will see if he reaches the 225 inning limit, but IMO, if in 2013, Halladay pitches even close to how he pitched last year and not how he’s pitched because of his injuries this year, he’ll be worth the option, would you not agree?

• uyf1950 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Yes, I do agree. But as I’ve mentioned previously:
        For the 2013 the Phillies have as of this moment based on MLB AAV payroll values $135MM tied up in 7 players (Halladay, Ryan, Utley, Lee, Paps, Rollins and now Hamels).
        For 2014 assuming Halladay’s option vest the Phillies have $120MM tied up in just 6 players (Halladay, Ryan, Lee, Paps, Rollins and Hamels).
        Then in 20115 the Phillies have $90MM tied up in just 4 players (Ryan, Lee, Paps and Hamels).

Speaking from experience as a Yankees fan that’s a lot of money tied up in a very limited number of players. And in virtually none of those players/commitments are the Phillies better offensively which has been their achilles heel these seasons. That’s just my opinion.

2. rjmarrella - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Keepin Cole means keeping fans interested. Keeping fans interested keeps the stadium sold out. Keeping the stadium sold out means resources for financing a contender. Keeping a contender in Philadelphia means a better tv contract. Bye bye Pence.

3. Francisco (FC) - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Ken Rosenthal says that the Phillies standard limited no-trade clause is a 21-team no-trade list in which players pick eight teams where they can go without restriction. I guess it’s semantics, but it’s more of a “trade me here” clause than a “no trade clause.”

Isn’t it more of a: “Nahh they’ll never trade me there” list? I thought players included big market teams in their no-trade list to get some leverage?

4. sdelmonte - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Here’s the funny thing. Rather than being bummed that the hated Phils are keeping their best young pitcher for a long time, meaning that the Mets will have to deal with that over and over, I am happy that this is one pitcher the Yankees won’t get. Not very rational, I know, but it’s how the Yanks-Mets feud plays out in my mind.

5. dodger88 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I won’t deny having had hopes he’d sign with the Dodgers if he became a free agent but I must say I like the growing trend of clubs, big market and small(er) locking up their own players. There is something right about Hamels likely playing his whole career (or the lion’s share) in a Phillies uniform. Good for him and the Phillies.

6. budselog - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

This was an absolute waste of money. This guy isn’t as clutch as Ruben Amaro wants to believe and he will end up eating crow on the bulk of this deal.

• chap6869 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Sour grapes perhaps?

• bleedgreen - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

This guy has been one of the best pitchers in baseball for 4 of the last 5 years. He was every bit as good as Halladay and Lee last year. He was the World Series MVP! How much more clutch do you want?

7. mojosmagic - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The team record is a direct result of two things, injuries to Howard and Utley and the dreadful bullpen save for Papplebaun. The strength of the Phillies is the starting pitching. You don’t take your strength and make it a weakness. Cole Hamels is one of the best pitchers in baseball and the Phils had the money to sign him.

8. The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Does including a no-trade clause like this mean that Hamels waives his 10 and 5 rights (which I believe would kick in in 3 years)?

9. phillyphan83 - Jul 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Dont look now haters, they’re 8-4 since the all-star break, I’d say there on the way back up! Only 8.5 out of the wildcard(poss. 8 by the end of today) with 2 months+ left! You’re crazy if you’re already counting these guys out!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3379)