The Rangers are talking to the Marlins about Josh Johnson

Jul 25, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT

Josh Johnson Getty Images

I already vented spleen about the Marlins sale. Some have responded to me saying that I’m overstating this, and it’s not THAT big of a sale.  So it’s probably worth noting that in addition to a starting pitcher, their would-be star third baseman and their starting second baseman, they’re talking about dealing their ace as well. Bob Nightengale reports:

The Marlins also have starter Josh Johnson on the trade block, and the Texas Rangers are one of the teams actively pursuing him, a Marlins executive told USA TODAY Sports, with the Rangers informing the Marlins they would be willing to part with third-base prospect Mike Olt.

The Rangers certainly need the rotation help, and Johnson would provide a boost as long as he stayed healthy.  Olt is 23 years-old, currently tearing up the Texas League. He has a strong arm and a lot of power at third, but is blocked by Adrian Beltre.  With Hanley Ramirez gone from Miami now, he’d be destined to take over third base for the Marlins.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:08 AM

One thing to be learned from the USA Today story is that unlike some other teams, the Marlins do leak information to the media. I assume that they are trying to start a bidding war, however, leaking is bound to upset many potential buyers.

2. rodge1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Wish the Marlins could trade Jeff Loria.

• ajcardsfan - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I think you pick any item at random from a trash can, and get a better deal for it then you would for Jeff Loria.

3. whodeytn - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM

How’s that show working out for Miami?

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

We need to only ask Drew “Hollywood” Silva about that one.

4. heat256 - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Johnson has been injury prone and has underperformed. If he’s their ace, then they are screwed. Trade him and move on.

• El Bravo - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Correct. Although, he’s been healthy this year. He just hasn’t been that good. I like this trade for the Marlins. That said, who is in their rotay without Anibal and JJ? It’s starting to look flimsy and it already was mainly due to under-performance.

5. burgundyandgold - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Wonder how Jose Reyes is feeling now?

• El Bravo - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Rich

6. cjasfenton - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM

As much as I want to see a front line pitcher come to Arlington, his health worries me. The extra year on his contract is great, but the guy has finished with fewer than 100 IPs three times in seven years. Pretty risky proposition.

7. rodge1 - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Any item in that trash can would be an upgrade over Jeff Loria…

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM

It is just crazy how the issue is really not the talent on the team, but the inability to maximize it. How much dysfunction can a team have? The team certainly had some under-performance problems before Ozzie got there, so you can’t blame him entirely, but boy howdy he has not seemed to be able to get these guys going at all.

9. Francisco (FC) - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I know it’s popular to smack Loria but the recent moves don’t feel all that bad…. provided the pieces they get in return perform. Turner is projected to be top of the rotation stuff. It seems like they’re looking to get Anibal performance for peanuts.

Josh has one more year of control, but they just parted with Hanley, which to me is a good thing since he’s been in rapid decline and extremely whiny to boot. Olt would make sense to get in return.

The Infante thing is the only thing I find rather senseless unless the Tigers insisted, and they did have a backup plan of sorts to fill in the gap. Of course it does suck that the Marlins just seem to be going back in rebuilding mode, but the deals themselves taken out of context don’t seem to be awful. But it IS a major letdown to be selling after having bought so much last winter.

OTOH this could be another way to protect that investment. If you’re going to have Reyes and Buerhle for the next several years maybe now would be a good time to get cheap good pieces to build around them for a while. Bell isn’t going anywhere, he’s just going to have to find his mojo.

10. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

this at least is possible, the rangers are a good franchise that tries to win so i can see them adding a pitcher like Johnson but that story yesterday about the bllue jays adding this guy and his 13.7MIL contract? give me a break thats NOT gonna happen thank you

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I actually agree with Harry for a change.

11. billymc75 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Giving up Olt is not worth it for this guy! Olt can be moved

12. billymc75 - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM

It’s not worth giving up Olt for this guy, he can’t play third right now for the Rangers, but they damn sure need a first baseman that can hit. Olts gonna be a 30-35 hr big leaguer .

• paperlions - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Exactly, Olt would be an upgrade for them at 1B right now. MY is one of the worst players in the majors right now, can’t get on base, no power, and can’t play defense….though he is dreamy, intangibly, and veterany…those things don’t actually contribute to winning baseball games.

• lmoneyfresh - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I get the feeling Hamilton’s days in TX are numbered as well, so having a power guy coming up in the next few years is a big need. I’m not on board with giving up Olt at this point.

13. purnellmeagrejr - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM

THE lack of results for the Marlins this year is amazing; I thought they’d win the division, anyway. I expect the next time I read about Josh Johnson it will be to announce his trade to the hate Yankees. THey neeed a top of the line started to go anywhere in the playoffs as C.C. is not quite enough.

14. purnellmeagrejr - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM

THE lack of results for the Marlins this year is amazing; I thought they’d win the division, anyway. I expect the next time I read about Josh Johnson it will be to announce his trade to the hated Yankees. THey neeed a top of the line started to go anywhere in the playoffs as C.C. is not quite enough.

15. purnellmeagrejr - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM

THE lack of results for the Marlins this year is amazing; I thought they’d win the division, anyway. I expect the next time I read about Josh Johnson it will be to announce his trade to the hated Yankees. THey need a top of the line started to go anywhere in the playoffs as C.C. is not quite enough.

Orioles turn AL East on its head