Jul 25, 2012, 1:31 PM EST
Looks like the end of the road for Godzilla: The Rays have designated Hideki Matsui for assignment.
Matsui was booted to make room on the roster for the recently-acquired Ryan Roberts. From a baseball perspective it’s not a hard call” Matsui was 14-for-95 with two homers and a .435 OPS in 34 games. There’s clearly nothing left in the tank.
For his career Matsui (likely) finishes at .282/.360/.482 with 175 homers in ten major league seasons. He snagged a World Series ring with the Yankees in 2009 was immensely popular with fans and teammates alike and, of course, played ten superstar seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan before coming here.
If it’s over, and I’m guessing it is, Matsui has left behind a fantastic career.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)