Jul 25, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Looks like the end of the road for Godzilla: The Rays have designated Hideki Matsui for assignment.
Matsui was booted to make room on the roster for the recently-acquired Ryan Roberts. From a baseball perspective it’s not a hard call” Matsui was 14-for-95 with two homers and a .435 OPS in 34 games. There’s clearly nothing left in the tank.
For his career Matsui (likely) finishes at .282/.360/.482 with 175 homers in ten major league seasons. He snagged a World Series ring with the Yankees in 2009 was immensely popular with fans and teammates alike and, of course, played ten superstar seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan before coming here.
If it’s over, and I’m guessing it is, Matsui has left behind a fantastic career.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)