Jul 25, 2012, 1:31 PM EST
Looks like the end of the road for Godzilla: The Rays have designated Hideki Matsui for assignment.
Matsui was booted to make room on the roster for the recently-acquired Ryan Roberts. From a baseball perspective it’s not a hard call” Matsui was 14-for-95 with two homers and a .435 OPS in 34 games. There’s clearly nothing left in the tank.
For his career Matsui (likely) finishes at .282/.360/.482 with 175 homers in ten major league seasons. He snagged a World Series ring with the Yankees in 2009 was immensely popular with fans and teammates alike and, of course, played ten superstar seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan before coming here.
If it’s over, and I’m guessing it is, Matsui has left behind a fantastic career.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 24
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (83)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)