Jul 25, 2012, 1:31 PM EST
Looks like the end of the road for Godzilla: The Rays have designated Hideki Matsui for assignment.
Matsui was booted to make room on the roster for the recently-acquired Ryan Roberts. From a baseball perspective it’s not a hard call” Matsui was 14-for-95 with two homers and a .435 OPS in 34 games. There’s clearly nothing left in the tank.
For his career Matsui (likely) finishes at .282/.360/.482 with 175 homers in ten major league seasons. He snagged a World Series ring with the Yankees in 2009 was immensely popular with fans and teammates alike and, of course, played ten superstar seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan before coming here.
If it’s over, and I’m guessing it is, Matsui has left behind a fantastic career.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)