Jul 25, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Looks like the end of the road for Godzilla: The Rays have designated Hideki Matsui for assignment.
Matsui was booted to make room on the roster for the recently-acquired Ryan Roberts. From a baseball perspective it’s not a hard call” Matsui was 14-for-95 with two homers and a .435 OPS in 34 games. There’s clearly nothing left in the tank.
For his career Matsui (likely) finishes at .282/.360/.482 with 175 homers in ten major league seasons. He snagged a World Series ring with the Yankees in 2009 was immensely popular with fans and teammates alike and, of course, played ten superstar seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan before coming here.
If it’s over, and I’m guessing it is, Matsui has left behind a fantastic career.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 53
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)